Gout - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout.
For gout, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

(Optional)

I have to take diuretics for a heart condition. The sad part is my cardiologist failed to tell me one of the side effect can be gout. I have had my first episode started on Saturday. My left foot swelled on top then the pain went away. All of a sudden Tuesday night I woke up with throbbing in my left big toe. I have never felt such overwhelming pain. I cannot walk. I am not much of a steak or seafood eater. But doing some research I found other foods that are good for you can also start an attack. I am not on medication! I am still in pain and will see my doctor when I can at least walk. I am trying to drink pure cherry juice I bought from a natural food store. We will see if this will help. I also have not been eating any starches; just fruit and vegetables. I drink at least 64 oz water daily..

Published: March 04

I just had my first ever case of gout almost 2 weeks ago. It never occurred to me that it could be gout. It began as a sore stiffness I get with usually wear and tear and changes in the weather. But, the usual Advil didn't take care of it and it was gradually getting worse. Four days later, after calling 4 different doctors and being on crutches for 2 days, I finally gave up getting an appointment and seeing an after-hours clinic. I wanted to see my doctor, not his nurse practitioner (NP). Joke’s on me. I got to the clinic and I saw the NP who took x-rays and confidently exclaimed I did not have gout. Maybe a little tendonitis, she wasn't sure. But it wasn't gout. She gave me a painkiller and muscle relaxer shot and a prescription, and I think I would have gotten better results from eating a bag of M and Ms. Three days later it was in full force. I could not put any weight on it and was being pushed around in my husband's office chair. Nothing helped, nothing! Ice felt good, the ceiling fan hurt, people walking by glancing at it hurt, people talking to me hurt. So, I got an emergency appointment with an orthopedic doctor who does lab tests. Two days later I got those results. Guess what? Gout. The advice I was given was to follow up with my primary care. I called the doctor back and got an appointment 2 days later. I finally got Colcrys. But I had already had this for 9 days. I had a lot of swelling and it was warm. It wasn't in my toe. It was in my ankle, the side and the top. It wasn't red, just pinkish at times. And it itched, and I couldn’t touch it. It was absolutely the worst pain I have ever endured. The pain has subsided now, the color's normal, and no swelling. However, now it's been 12 days and I still can only walk with crutches. I feel as though I'll never be able to walk again. How long will this pain last!.