Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu).
How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

(Optional)

This stomach flu has been the worst! It is so bad I had to write here to tell my story since I can't see much about it. This is real! It's crazy, my husband and I have had this for two weeks now. We are in good health generally, we exercise and eat healthy. So, it starts off with diarrhea, stomach discomfort, fatigue, headache, backache, clammy sweat (no fever), but then it morphs into a whole set of other symptoms. After 3 days of just drinking fluids and using a BRAT diet you start to feel better. That's the sneaky part! Then, you start to eat normal and the stomach pain starts; in the center off your stomach an hour after eating. Followed by horrible gas, nausea, indigestion, and burping, but your stomach starts growling, growling, and growling. Then it feels like an alien in your gut! The stools toughen up, but they are like stressful torpedoes now. This goes on for a week. We are in our second week. We are both very delicate and sleeping is really helping, and green tea and lots of water. Warning: if you think you are over it after 3 days, you are not! And won't be for 10 more days. I wish others would write here, because local information is suppressed. It is running rampant and I know by word of mouth. Our kids are older in high school and college. College one spent one week of Christmas break in bed sick with this, and the high school one was sick for several days. The younger seem to be more resilient. So, I hope this helps someone. Chicken broth was very good during the first week, too. Stay well..

Published: December 12

My gastroenteritis started with a really bad headache when I woke up Friday morning. I took Tylenol and felt better afterwards. I ate all day as I normally would and felt fine. Around 4 pm, I got home from shopping with my mom and had a very bad chill, I could not get warm! But I still did not feel sick. That night, I went to dinner with friends and after dinner, I had stomach pain and diarrhea but I thought it was just from something I had eaten. After the first bout of diarrhea, I was so bloated from my dinner I felt as if my belly was going to explode. I tried seltzer water, tea and ginger ale but nothing would help the bloat, my stomach was protruding! My food was sitting in my stomach like a lead balloon. I had a little more diarrhea and terrible smelling gas and that is how I knew this was the stomach bug. Then the stomach cramps started. It is the worst stomach pain ever! I was sick all night/day on Saturday. My body wanted me to throw up so badly but I held it in each time because I hate to vomit (I have bad emetophobia). I was so light headed, I would almost pass out just sitting up on the toilet. I could only lie on my back as lying on my sides would make my stomach twist and turn. My back was in so much pain and the headache was unbelievable. I was finally able to drink some Gatorade that afternoon and had a couple Popsicles around 8 pm. I was able to take Tylenol as well and that really helped with the headache. I felt better the next day (Sunday) but still had the stomach pain. Eating bland foods helped with that. This virus is not fun!.