Costochondritis - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis.
Please describe your experience with costochondritis.

(Optional)

I have been having what feels like a heart attack for about 2 weeks now. I went to the emergency room where I was diagnosed with costochondritis; no cause, no treatment except take ibuprofen. I am usually very active, so I am going to go play hockey tonight as I am sick of this. Guess I will be on a double dose of Nurofen in the morning..

I got a dog about a year and a half ago (Husky). She pulls on her lead so hard and so sudden that I cannot catch it most times. So one night lying in bed, my dog lay right down on top of me, I thought she was nuts so I pushed her off. I was already feeling awful, she then sat on my left side and put her paw on the left side of my chest, and then it hit boom! I thought ok, this is it, I’m done. Paramedics came, and I was off to the hospital for a 15 hour wait only to be told oh I am ok, nothing was wrong, and to go home. So I went to my doctor who pressed on my chest, and I nearly slugged her. She said it was costochondritis, that it will be gone in a week or so, and to take naproxen (terrible drug, makes you sicker than you already are). It has now been almost a year with this. I am sick and tired of going to bed at night scared that I will not wake up in the morning. I am tired of just picking up a glass of milk and having a flare up. The last one lasted about 5 days straight. Now, you go for that long thinking every minute of the day that you are having a heart attack try it! I had a vascular scan and a stress test. I was told my heart is strong, all is well and no blockages, and agreed that this is costochondritis. I am sick of this, no one can tell me how it is cured or if it can be cured. I try to rest as much as I can but I have duties here in my home so rest is out of the question. I take pain killers like candy, they do nothing. I am scared with this and fear within me turns into anger and I snap at my wife and I don't mean to, but she understands (I think). I have researched this and I have found forums full of people that have had this going on 10 years. At first it felt like my chest was on fire, but ice cold at the same time; it went all across my chest down the arm in the back. Sometimes it feels like someone is folding my ribs in half. I try deep breaths but when it's in the ribs you cannot get a good breath. It causes my panic attacks to be more frequent. It always feels like I am in cardiac arrest. To get to sleep I take about 3 or 4 sleeping pills with a side of 6 pain killers and when it gets to the point where I can barely walk, it is bed time. That's my temporary cure (do not do what I do, very dangerous)! It’s that or I stay up all night and sleep in the day so my wife is awake and if anything happens she is there for CPR or whatever might be needed. I am sick of this, I want it gone and I do not wish this on anyone. Take care everyone who has this thing..