Costochondritis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis.
What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?

(Optional)

Published: December 21

I have had what I believe to be costochondritis for almost a year now. It began on the right side in my back floating ribs, then I began to get pain in the front lower ribs as well. That lasted 8 months off and on and then I had no symptoms for almost two months. About a week ago I was at work and felt pain in my lower left floating ribs. I felt like my ribs were squished in or out of place; or like the muscles holding them in place were ripped. The strange thing is I have been on meloxicam for bursitis in my knee for almost two weeks so having this pain was strange for me. I thought it could be a back spasm from dehydration but after many water bottles and days later the pain is still there. Now the right back side is starting to hurt again. Also noted I frequently have popping in my sternum, like a knuckle pop. I have been trying to see a doctor but no one I call says they 'do ribs'. I tried orthopedic, thoracic, etc. I suppose I will see a regular doctor..

I was diagnosed with costochondritis about 3 years ago. The pain was centered on both sides of my rib cage and across my abdomen. It was severe at first; took a lot of ibuprofen and used a heating pad. I had injections which did not help, and physical therapy which did not help. A lot of my pain, I think, was caused from stress and my doctor put me on clonazepam (anti-anxiety medication) and I continued to take ibuprofen. It reduced my pain by about 50 percent. It eventually went away, but I still get it back. It is really bad right now. I also have chronic constipation and find that when I do finally have a bowel movement, it reduces the pain. I sure wish there was some solution to this problem. It's not fun and really curtails your activities..