Vaginal Prolapse - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vaginal Prolapse.
What caused your vaginal prolapse?

(Optional)

I am a patient of vaginal prolapse and also have been a care-giver for many years! My problems started after coming off hormone replacement therapy (HRT) recently. I have always been a very active person. I have always walked everywhere as I have never had a car. I do heavy lifting, e.g., shopping and gardening, digging for hours. I had a very heavy baby when I was 20 years old. She was more than 9 pounds in weight. A very difficult labor of 24 plus hours and a very painful episiotomy was done without my consent, which should have been re-stitched as the stitches dissolved before healing had completed. I enjoy being active; also enjoyed horse-riding for many years. I haven't been sexually active since my husband/partner died 18 years ago. I am at a loss after reading the details on this site, as to what can be done to help stop my condition from getting any worse. The threatening vaginal prolapse appeared about two weeks ago. Maybe I could have avoided this recent problem had I continued with the risks of taking HRT..

Heavy lifting over many years, about 10 hours per week, especially between 1995 and 2012, contributed to vaginal prolapse, as I did not have children, nor was I ever pregnant. Also beginning to be in menopause. There may be a hereditary weakness, a sister and my mother each had prolapses, but theirs were uterine, I think..