Asthma - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Asthma.
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your asthma?

(Optional)

Published: December 20

I got my asthma by mouth breathing as a baby and I suffered for decades with mild asthma. I got rid of it by learning to sharply inhale through the nose. This compresses the lips and so by a reflex loop relaxes lung airways..

I was diagnosed with COPD about 15 yrs ago after suffering from Asthma for almost 25 yrs. I was forced to go on disability and have managed to lead a fairly normal life except I lead a very sedentary lifestyle due to shortness of breath. I quit smoking 17 yrs ago after smoking for 35 yrs. I had tried many times previously but failed until I used a nicotine patch. Thank God for that success. I know I have shortened my life but have managed with meds like Advair, Singulair, Spiriva, Theodor, Ventolin inhaler, and sometimes Predinsone to get along. I only wish I had been able to quit smoking sooner than I did but I suffered from terrible withdrawal symptoms. I lost my best friend last week to COPD. My advice - don't quit trying to quit smoking! You can succeed!.