Pernicious Anemia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pernicious Anemia (Vitamin B-12 Deficiency).
What symptoms did you experience from pernicious anemia (vitamin B-12 deficiency).

In 2008 I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia (vitamin B-12 deficiency) through blood tests. My symptoms built on each other daily until finally diagnosis and injections reversed the symptoms. I have to take injections for the rest of my life, 2 times a month or more to keep symptoms away. My symptoms started with nightly bad leg cramps (charley horses multiple times in the night that just would not relax no matter standing, lying, whatever), depressed feeling like something bad was coming, and feeling very tired. I would be so sleepy I would fall asleep sitting up, but when I lay down flat I would be wide awake and unable to get to sleep. This went on for about 6 months. Then started extreme frequent urination 7 times a night, multiple times in the same hour daily; I began to enter stores scoping out where bathroom was as sure I would need it soon. I didn't have any kidney infection present but unable to hold bladder. Then there was decrease in smell, taste was off, I could not taste if salty or sweet enough when cooking, others eating would say seasoned fine. I had extreme itching at nose, rectum, privates, crease of legs, under my breasts. My hands were obviously shaking and dropping dishes without warning when you knew you had good grip; just fell out of hands without warning. While walking I would side step and stagger like a drunk and then go on straight. Mental problem was I would tell something over and over and not realize I had told multiple times, would get words tangled up in talking, would ramble in talking and realize it but take a few minutes to control. Memory was very fuzzy, hearing muffled, and finally mouth ulcer present few days sent me back to the doctor who said any mouth sore, ulcer or cold sore that lingers is major sign of pernicious anemia as disease progresses. He ran tests for multiple sclerosis as precaution due to same symptoms possible, but negative, blood tests for pernicious anemia were positive. Injections reversed symptoms in few weeks, some that I realized in hindsight had been going on for years, but until they became numerous didn't raise flag for concern. I had stomach surgery in 1980 for ruptured appendix with gangrene, peritonitis, and endometriosis and 1982 again exploratory stomach surgery for numerous ovarian cysts, and my doctor said any type of stomach surgery or someone having chemotherapy could be reason for pernicious anemia as you lose intrinsic factor that absorbs the B 12 and could be years later before it surfaced..

Published: April 05

The symptoms I experienced from pernicious anemia were severe fatigue, burning tongue, and memory loss. My daughter in her 40s has it as well as my father. I take B-12 injections..