Meningitis in Adults - Medical Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meningitis in Adults.
What treatment did you receive for meningitis?

(Optional)

Published: December 08

My 18 year old son woke up one day and felt heavy and had a headache. We assumed it was a flu bug. A week later the headache (back of his head) worsened. We went to the hospital and was told it was migraine. We knew better as he does suffer from migraine. Three days later, we went to urgent care. He was given a shot of Toradol with little relief. Next day, to the emergency room (ER), CT scan, IV fluids with multiple medicines and nerve blocking shots. Approximately three days later, went to the neurologist. He was sent back to the ER and admitted. He had MRI and spinal tap. It was viral meningitis. We are waiting on results from infectious disease department as to the origin. Now my youngest is sick with flu type virus. We are watching and waiting..

I am a school nurse. I have the same symptoms of meningitis, bad headache for 9 days, fatigue, and light sensitivity. No diagnosis yet, but steroids and OTC anti-inflammatory medicines help. I am going back to the doctor again today. At school we have seen students with severe headache..