Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu).
Please share your experience with the stomach flu or gastroenteritis.

(Optional)

Published: December 19

My wife is an early childhood teacher and started vomiting and two days later she was still vomiting because of the stomach flu. Five days later in the morning my father was down and I started feeling bad about lunchtime. I headed to bed at 1600 hours only to wake at 1730 to what can only be described as power chucking until my stomach was empty. Quite an impressive amount really. I spent all night sleeping and woke to try to go to work as I had a special meeting to attend. Got to work, put meeting back and went back home and slept the morning away. I did light duties throughout afternoon and had lightly fried fish and asparagus for tea. I thought things were all good but my wife woke me and asked if I was okay as my stomach was growling very loudly and had been doing so for hours. That was at 0300, it is now 0830, and it is still growling occasionally with the odd stabbing pain..

Published: March 27

My gastroenteritis started at 12 am Monday morning. I ate a heavy lunch, corn beef and cabbage, and felt fine. I woke up with severe diarrhea, and soon it turned it turned into projectile vomiting and diarrhea. I sat on the toilet with a waste basket on my lap for 12 hours. My husband called an ambulance and I was admitted to the hospital with gastroenteritis on Monday. I was released on Thursday after 8 bags of potassium, my potassium level had dropped to a 2. I was also treated with Flagyl and Cipro. If you think you have this get to the doctor soon..