Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Foods to Avoid

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Test, Symptoms, Diet, and Treatments.
What foods aggravate IBS? What foods and lifestyle changes have helped you mange IBS?

(Optional)

I started to feel ill in May, stomach bloating, loss of appetite, gas that would not pass, narrowing of stools, and some bouts of constipation. I have had a colonoscopy that revealed a narrowing and a skin tag, but no biopsies were taken, since I was on Coumadin, but hadn't taken it for 10 days. Symptoms continued and an EGD was done, which showed acid reflux and a small hiatal hernia. I was put on Zantac for that and Amitiza for the irritable bowel syndrome. I tried gluten free foods and no big difference. My celiac disease was negative. So with all the food no-no’s, I am losing precious weight and am down to 121 and am 5 ft 8 inches. I can't afford to lose more. I have tried Ensure Plus but can only drink it once a day due to the content of vitamin K which affects my INR (international normalized ratio)..

Published: June 14

In my family, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is inherited and the living habits of several relatives are now what I do as well. I would offer that frequent/multiple bowel movements is more accurate than diarrhea. Increased frequency is associated with diarrhea, but not always. One can still have diarrhea for other reasons. Basically, you have to be very careful of what you eat, drink, ingest as medication, etc. Read labels carefully; a change in ketchup caused several days problems while I was trying to figure out what went wrong. Vegan/vegetarianism is helpful. Vegan is not possible because of a heavy reliance on beans, legumes, spices, etc., which are problematic. The tradition of expresso cafe post-meal is helpful for digestion and one directional. Small amounts of coffee can avoid/ease much difficulty. If you l do not like black coffee, small amount of milk or cream will be neutralized by the coffee and avoid the lactose-intolerant symptoms and difficulties..