Guillain-Barre Syndrome - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Guillain-Barre Syndrome.
What are your symptoms of Guillain-Barre symptoms?

(Optional)

I developed Guillain-Barre symptoms after flu vaccination in November 2016. I still have all symptoms 10 months later. I was not paralyzed, but suffered muscle weakness, soreness in all extremities, lack of feeling in feet, and difficulty walking. I exercise very often and am gaining muscle strength, but still nothing much improved including lack of concentration and irritability. Hopeful I will improve sufficiently to be able to resume some employment and again able to drive a car, although my neurologist says maybe 6 to 8 more months..

My husband received his very first flu and pneumonia shot in November 2014. He became very sick to his stomach in December. He was sick for a full 7 days, out of work, had vomiting and diarrhea, and was weak. He went to the doctor, who said he has had a virus, and that he should improve. By March 2015 he still wasn't well. April 8th he had so much pain in his limbs that he was crying and went to Urgent Care where his lipase levels were elevated. He was admitted to the hospital for 4 days. He could not walk on his own in the hospital where his doctor told him he was anxious and that he would address his neurological issues at a later date. It was downhill from there, unable to walk, pain in extremities paralysis in the feet, legs and around the mouth, with eyelid droop. Still no answers and no concerned doctor. I fired the doctor, got him into physical therapy and found a new care provider that sent him to a neurologist who did a thorough work up and finally had a diagnosis of Guillain-Barre on Aug 8, 2015! What a nightmare. He continues to suffer with polyneuropathy and is always in pain..