Guillain-Barre Syndrome - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Guillain-Barre Syndrome.
Please share your effective treatment of Guillain-Barre syndrome.

(Optional)

I have a relapsing type of Guillain-Barre syndrome for many years which eluded diagnosis. I have been hospitalized in the past but prefer to stay home. My episodes are always preceded by a viral or bacterial infection and result in spreading muscle weakness, trouble swallowing, crazy blood pressure (BP), severe pain in the back, head and legs, and I have required up to a year of physical therapy for things like foot drop and peroneal nerve atrophy. Each flare leaves damage that can't be fixed, like 'asbestos hands' that don't feel pain, and autonomic neuropathy. I try to head off viruses with a Z-Pak. I'm sick now so we'll see if that works this time. Physical therapy is key, and crutches keep me working and moving. I can walk my dog backwards on crutches after two glasses of wine but most people do not find them as useful. They require building strength over months on them, and lots of persistence. I am 62 but intend to continue to develop my own coping strategies: I don’t love hospitals and doctors. Sometimes they make the heart rate and BP issues worse with overmedicating and a rigid regimen. I have a good cardiologist who gets the idea of self-monitoring, and responding to big fluctuations with an array of medications, hour by hour till success rather than overdoing it. In hospital I've had nurses wake me up for scheduled BP medications when it is 90/56. Ridiculous. That’s why I stay home if I can. If I couldn't breathe I'd go..