Chronic Kidney Disease - Patient Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease.
Please describe your experience with chronic kidney disease.

(Optional)

I have been on dialysis for almost 10 years because of chronic kidney disease and I lead a totally normal life. I have the occasional problem with my access but all in all I live pretty much the same way as I did before dialysis. I still work fulltime and pretty healthy other than this. It could be a whole lot worse so I appreciate my good health all things considered. The only thing that I find annoying is that it takes me longer to get over common illness now like the common cold. It just seems to linger which is annoying. I feel pretty lucky really. I don't seem to have any long term effects from the dialysis..

Published: April 25

I am a grandma with diabetes mellitus and have had chronic kidney disease (CKD) for thirty years. At age 62 I am still in stage 3. I have CKD anemia now. I have pelvic renal wall urine retention. My left kidney is scarred and atrophied. It began as normal. I keep a good diet and hydrate with cleansing lemon water to prolong good function. I have been on lisinopril to preserve kidneys and control high blood pressure. You can go back and forth with glomerular filtration rate (GFR) and get better. I avoid Tylenol. Feeling exhausted; peripheral neuropathy pain, and back pain are so hard. It is hard to breathe sometimes. I walk with a cane..