Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
Tell us about your experience with carbon monoxide poisoning?

(Optional)

I have a vacant apartment I've been working in for the last few weeks. It was very dirty after the tenant moved and we've been scrubbing down and re-painting from floor to ceiling. Yesterday I installed a carbon monoxide detector at approximately 5 PM (after being in the apartment with the gas wall heater running all day). This morning at 7 AM the adjacent tenant texted me that an alarm was sounding in the unit next door. I arrived approximately 15 minutes later and discovered the carbon monoxide detector was ringing. A technician looked at the heater and found it to be emitting carbon monoxide into the apartment and needs to be replaced. And I thought I was just being lazy! I found myself getting very unmotivated to work more than 4 to 5 hours per day. I've also been having an upset stomach every night and headaches (I thought those were due to a certain cupboard door I kept hitting my head on)! Very scary! If you don't have a carbon monoxide detector in your residence go to a hardware store and get one! They have units which plug directly into a wall outlet. Very easy to install!.

My carbon monoxide poisoning came from a truck. (I’m a truck driver.) The truck had an exhaust leak, and the carbon monoxide came in the cab. I was in the truck for four days. I had to ride with the windows opened; that’s what saved me. My company refused to fix the truck and demanded I do my job. When I got back home off the road, I had them send me to the doctor. My levels two days after getting home were still 10.7. My head felt as if my brain was trying to push out. I had a headache that was out of this world. That was a year ago, and I have not driven since. Now I have migraine headaches, which are no fun at all..