Knee Joint Replacement - Side Effects

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Knee Joint Replacement.
Please describe any side effects you had after your knee joint replacement.

About 2 months after knee replacement surgery, I began to get skin lesions on my legs, arms, and chest. I underwent full allergy tests, but nothing showed up. I was treated with strong steroids, which cleared most (but not all) lesions. About 6 months post-surgery, I began getting extreme fatigue and some loss of balance, along with feeling of dizziness (not prevalent when sitting or lying down, only when vertical. I am now about 10 months post-surgery and symptoms continue; itchy skin is starting to recur..

Published: December 02

I've been a registered nurse for over 40 years and have seen my fair share of knee and hip replacements. I was stunned to see patients being discharged home the very next morning after getting a hip or knee replacement. And, they were pain free. The reason they were discharged so soon and that they were pain free was because they all had a lateral (side) approach. Unfortunately, not all physician that practice orthopedics are familiarized with this approach. Ask your orthopedic doctor about the lateral approach and not simply accept the old approach that slices the middle of your knee. You will have a quicker recovery and a painless one to boot..