Knee Joint Replacement - Recovery Time

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Knee Joint Replacement.
How long did it take you to recover after knee joint replacement surgery?

Published: March 09

I recently had my second knee replacement. It is considerably worse than the first knee replacement. It has been a month and I still am having a lot of pain and swelling. I have been in physical therapy, but the swelling is so bad that recovery is going very slowly. I was told it was because there was a lot more work that had to be done on the knee. With this knee replacement surgery I had a lot more bruising and calf and shin pain. I am very frustrated with the pain and swelling. A month out and I can only bend my knee about 90 degrees. Walking is still difficult and very painful in the shin and calf areas. Hoping this gets better with time..

My knee joint replacement surgery has had a generally good outcome so far. I am walking well after 7 weeks with no pain and with a rhythmic gait. Knee swells with too much rehabilitation exercise or standing too long. Ice assists to reduce swelling and pain. I have not taken pain tablets for several weeks and manage the pain by how I lie, sit and elevate the leg and ankle movements. Stairs are still somewhat challenging especially stepping down, but manageable. I can mostly keep the leg flat and have about 96 degrees bend at this time..