Inability to Urinate - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Inability to Urinate.
What treatment have you received for urinary retention?

(Optional)

I had shoulder surgery and had general anesthesia and a block for the arm. Next day I could not urinate. I had to be catheterized at the emergency room. They said to keep it in for 2 days but the small portable bag had to be emptied every 2 hours and my wife had to do it. I decided that 24 hours was long enough to solve the urinary retention problem and went to my doctor, who took it out and prescribed Flomax. He warned me that I could still need a catheter. I felt better and then that night I couldn't sleep because I could only produce a few drops of urine every hour..

Post-surgery for my shoulder I could not empty bladder. I got a catheter at the emergency room and then had my doctor remove it 27 hours later, and he prescribed Flomax. Now the problem of urinary retention is back again. I couldn't sleep all night. I have had no prostate problems before this. I wonder how long this could last..