Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain).
What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?

(Optional)

I am seventy four years old and have suffered from trigeminal neuralgia pains for at least six years and from low back pain for the last eighteen months. On Friday, 12 May, 2017 during a remission period from the pains of trigeminal neuralgia I arranged a TAMARS (technology assisted mobilization and reflex simulation) appointment focusing on low back pain. During the hour-long treatment session the therapist manipulated the entire length of my spine. At times the pain was quite intense and when he concentrated pressure on the top section of my spine in the nape of my neck/base of my skull area I had to grind my teeth to cope with the severe pain. About twenty four hours after completion of the TAMARS manipulation I suddenly felt the return of dreaded trigeminal neuralgia pains in my right jaw. These pains remained for approximately two days and then ceased completely. During that two day period I had no pains whatever in my left jaw. Previous to the TAMARS treatment for about six years my trigeminal neuralgia pains had been exclusively embedded in the left side of my face. Three months later as I write this brief description of my experience I have not had any pains whatsoever in either side of my face following cessation of the pains in my right jaw. I am convinced that the TAMARS treatment initiated, albeit transiently, severe trigeminal neuralgia pains in my right jaw..

I have had atypical trigeminal neuralgia for 18 years! I have tried surgery, gamma knife, acupuncture, facial and cranial work, massage, medicines, etc. Last Saturday I began using legal CBD oil twice a day. It has brought some desperately awaited relief. I take it with my Tegretol and Vicodin and hope to wean myself off those medications soon. The CBD oil is used twice a day and has no side effects. It is legal in Ohio and Michigan and I am thankful beyond words to finally have more relief and hope..