Breast Infection - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Infection.
What were the symptoms of your breast infection and what was the treatment?

(Optional)

I was sitting watching TV when I suddenly felt a feeling of heat in my right breast. I had had my mammogram two months earlier and it was clear. I am very low risk and have been in the breast screening program since I was 50 years old. I called the health line the next morning. They told me I had to see a doctor within 4 hours. I called my doctor who saw me immediately. My nipple was very red, hot and painful. She could not examine me because of the soreness. She was very concerned. I was prescribed a heavy duty course of antibiotics and told to return in one week. I saw her the following week. The antibiotics had helped but it was still red and sore. She said she could feel a small lump. She sent me for a breast ultra sound the following week and it was determined that I had mastitis. I was surprised to hear that I could have mastitis at my age. It was a relief. It completely cleared up and I have had no reoccurrence..

In March 2014 my breast became quite painful and very hot. The nipple was enlarged and my breast resembled an overripe tomato. A needle biopsy and a mammogram were done. I was then scheduled for outpatient surgery and the breast, containing a large amount of pus, was drained. The incision was left open to heal naturally. By September I had contracted pneumonia and the breast had filled again. After spending 2 weeks in hospital being treated for pneumonia, my breast was again drained and incision was stitched, leaving just a small ¼ inch tube near nipple. The day I left hospital the tube was removed and the area stitched. That incision has never healed and I often find my night clothes and sheets speckled with blood. I have also spent the past 12 months on oral antibiotics. I experience incredible pain that radiates from the breast, under my arm or down my arm and occasionally pain spreads to other breast. I had an ultrasound done last week and fortunately it did not show any masses. The doctor has offered me two choices; admit me to hospital for a series of intramuscular antibiotics or remove the breast. One side effect to all the antibiotics was the fact that numerous teeth crumbled and I was admitted to hospital, put under general anesthesia and 5 teeth removed. As I suffer from COPD general anesthesia is not the best option but we shall see what my doctor says next week..