Kidney Stones - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones.
What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?

(Optional)

My first kidney stone was 2.5 cm; yes cm. A whole inch. I had to have it surgically removed through my kidney. It was the worst thing I have ever done in my life! I had a nephrostomy tube hanging out my back for a whole month! I then passed a 4 mm stone with relative ease. I did need an emergency room trip and some pain medications. Now I am having the familiar stomach ache that I had then and some pain in the right kidney area, but nothing serious. No blood in urine so I guess I am hanging out and waiting until something else happens..

Published: June 13

I was very anxious about having ESWL (extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy) done for kidney stone on my left side. After reading all the horror stories about the stent being put in. Well, my stone was 6 mm and my urologist assured me I wouldn't need a stent. Last thing I remember was talking to the doctor. I woke up 45 minutes later pain free and don't remember a thing. I urinated minuscule stone fragments for a couple of days and then stone free. Best decision I ever made to have it done. To avoid that horrible pain everyone tells me will happen if it tries to pass on its own, it was totally worth it. I will have it done again if I have too. By the way, the urologist said stent is usually required if stone is over 8 mm..