Anemia - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia.
What treatment has been effective for your anemia?

I am hopeful this helps others. For approximately 2 years I would have visits to my doctor and literally drag myself into his office complaining of the need for some energy; perhaps more thyroid. In retrospect I looked weak and colorless. He said I must be depressed and in need of antidepressants. I said no to this. Upshot of actually sleeping 2 years, dizziness and major fatigue I was having a heart test and went into atrial fibrillation. Immediately the team had me see a cardiologist who saved my life, and next day after blood test the most common test finally was done; this is a CBC [but I was so ill I didn't even know what a dizzy spell was, all I could think of was a swoon]. My hemoglobin that next day was 6, dangerously low. I was told to get to the emergency room where I spent 10 to 12 hours receiving 2 back to back blood transfusions and realized I was going to live! It is difficult to step up the plate to determine how to handle these medical issues when one is so ill. Then I had a gastroscopy and colonoscopy at the same time with biopsy and no one was able to discern the cause of my anemia. I am still investigating, I would like to know if my extremely low hemoglobin laid the foundation for atrial fibrillation. I am doing well though not jumping rope and was lucky to meet that wonderful cardiologist!.

I was extremely tired, achy to the state where I couldn't even leave the bed to go and eat, or work or anything. I managed to get to the doctors when I was having a good day and they did tests for anemia, diabetes, thyroid issues, etc. I then was told to go in for a full blood test, and they found that my folic acid was really low. I have been on tablets for a month or two now, and although I can move from my bed and have been able to go to work a bit, etc., it still doesn't seem to be sorted. I have been trying to eat a balanced diet but it can be difficult due to working hours..