Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles.
What were your shingles symptoms and signs?

(Optional)

The first shingles symptom that occurred was constant pain beneath my ribs on my right side which radiated to my back, plus intermittent nausea. After a number of hours, I went to the emergency room. After blood tests, gallbladder ultrasound, EKG and chest x-ray, which were all normal, it was decided the culprit was recurrent gastritis and I was referred to a gastroenterologist. Two days later, I developed two itchy lesions which looked like insect bites, one located to the right of the sternum and another beneath the ribs on my back. The following morning, I awoke with a large and painful swollen gland under my right jaw. No fever, no chills, mild fatigue and continuing stomach discomfort and pain. It didn't occur to me that this odd assortment of symptoms was actually caused by a virus until a week later. By that time, more welts had appeared on my torso between my sternum and my spine and I began to suspect shingles. The diagnosis was confirmed today and I am now taking Valtrex..

I had deep back pain in the middle of the night. Thought I must have pulled a muscle or banged into something. Pain was there but bearable during the day, but I woke and it spread during the night for a week off and on. Thought I had a catch under my rib into my back. I worked all week but pain awakened me Friday night and when I looked in mirror I saw raised red bumps near the pain site. I went to urgent care next day and was diagnosed the shingles. I started on antiviral medication but the rash spread overnight. I did get shingles vaccine 5 years ago. Twenty-four hours later I am suffering significant back pain. Rash is stable. Hoping antiviral kicks in and helps. I have terrible stabbing back pain. Ibuprofen helps..