Gout - Diet

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout.
How did you change your diet upon your diagnosis of gout?

(Optional)

I thought gout was a toe thing you got from drinking too much or from deli meat. I get it in my elbows, knee and my ankle. I don't drink and I don't eat meat often. I hit a trifecta though with menopause, obesity, and carbohydrates. I am modifying my diet and exercising regularly now. They gave me colchicine and nothing else at the moment. The pain from flares was like bones breaking. I thought I had tendinitis in my elbows and that my knee and ankle hurt from an old injury or from walking wrong. Tonight is the first time that I have given red meat a second look. I am having a hamburger, and what should be enjoyable is bothering me a lot thinking of the pain I may have brought on myself again. I guess if it causes a flare I will be reformed from partaking in barbeque of any kind. I eat lots of vegetables as I always did but I try to get my protein from eggs and chicken, or beans, and different vegetables and nuts. I don't eat white bread and white rice. I have switched to brown rice and quinoa and wheat. I've lost about 25 lb in the last 2 months and am working on shedding more. Gout is incredibly painful and I want to avoid it as much as possible. I am learning now that it can do more damage than just the pain in joints so I will be doing a lot more research on the subject. I guess I am predisposed because my grandmother has it as well..

I have had problems with tendonitis, bursitis and yes, gout since I was a teenager. High uric acid runs in the family. My father passed from a disease called polymyositis a severe form of rheumatoid arthritis. I have even had some gout attacks that landed me in the emergency room. This time though was different. I had knee replacement surgery, and the surgeon reported to me that I had tophi coated on all the ligaments and joints in my knee. That was after the surgery and it created such a gout flare up that I was put in the ICU for three days after surgery, with intravenous Dilaudid and the weaker morphine. Well, I used to like to drink gin. I haven't had a drink since that episode. I am three-quarters vegetarian now. I lost 30 pounds, I dropped from 220 to 190. I get regular exercise and flare ups still happen like waves rippling out from the initial attack, each one is weaker than the last. There is one practical piece of advice, or I should say my opinion as to deal with this, stay ahead of it. Get yourself a bottle of prednisone and stick it in the back of a door somewhere. Then, when on Friday night a flare up occurs you don't have to suffer until Monday to get to the doctor (if you can get in). Take 40 mg for 4 days, 30 mg for three days, and 20 for two days. Naprosyn, colchicine, meloxicam, Indocin, they all work, but not like prednisone..