Herpes Simplex Infections - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cold Sores.
How were your herpes simples infections (cold sores, non-genital) treated?

(Optional)

I suffered with cold sores from an early age, 3 or 4, and Campho-Phenique was the only treatment, and it didn't work very well. Always on my lips, and after going to the beach, and in the fall when the Santa Ana winds blew. It was horrible. Then, at the age of 27, in 1977, while at the doctor’s for an upper respiratory cold, and I was sporting a cold sore on my lip, the physician told me that sometimes, because cold sores were a related herpes virus, that a smallpox vaccination might help prevent them. Of course I'd had a smallpox vaccine growing up, but since it was cheap and I figured it couldn't make things any worse, I told him sure. That was 40 years ago, and I swear, I have only had 2 cold sores in that time, and they weren't even very bad! It was like a miracle! Now I hear it isn't that easy to get smallpox vaccinations, but all I can say, is that it sure worked for me!.

Published: March 21

I am a 42-year-old male who owns a stressful business. In the past three years, due to my business going under, I stressed a lot. I have been getting cold sores about six to seven times a year, especially during winter. I have tried all the name brand staff and nothing has worked for me. I read once an article online that people in Europe use liquid Benzocaine like Anbesol and take a few tabs of ibuprofen. Since 2012, I have gotten them about five times, and right away, I use the oral liquid and take the ibuprofen. This method works the best for me. It stops them in their tracks with zero healing time! Try it and it'll work for you. Now I’m all smiles..