Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids.
Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.

(Optional)

I am 40 years old and I have fibroids, 11 fibroids. No kids yet, trying. I don't have any pain but I bleed extremely heavy. After suffering for about 5 years, I went and had Acessa procedure done in March, 2016, now it is October 2016. I am still bleeding exactly the same, heavy, and my fibroids didn't shrink. I am very stressed, if I knew I should have not done it. I am not saying Acessa procedure is bad, but it didn't help me a bit. Thanks all..

Published: March 24

I was diagnosed with a 20 cm uterine fibroid when I was 48. Due to its position, I had had no heavy periods, etc., just got very bloated (but put it down to age). Eventually, having had a stomach bug, I realized there was a large solid mass in my abdomen and saw the doctor. I went for ultrasound and TV scans (which showed how large the fibroid was) and had a long discussion with the gynecologist as to the best treatment. The suggestion was made that I could wait for the menopause, but I realized that could be up to 8 years away and no guarantee the fibroid would shrink. I asked about a myomectomy and we agreed that I would take a drug to shrink the fibroid and a decision would be made when I returned in 3 months. In that time I chatted to loads of friends, many of whom had had fibroids. In several cases, they'd tried a myomectomy only to have more fibroids grow (and eventual hysterectomies). After 3 months, my fibroid had only shrunk to 16 cm and it was agreed that a hysterectomy was the best option. I had the operation a month later and after postoperative recovery time, have never looked back. I can breathe properly again, exercise (couldn't bend before as the lump pressed on my diaphragm) and have heaps of energy. Please don't think that hysterectomy is the end; as far as I'm concerned it was a new beginning. Whatever your choice, I wish you well..