Hernia - Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia.
Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis?

I am a pretty fit, slim non-smoking man, 46 years of age. I used to run 3 times a week before surgery and carry out other exercise. I had bi-lateral, inguinal hernia surgery 6 months ago; I had two, 2 inch incisions about an inch or so above my penis either side of my lower abdomen and the repair was carried out using mesh. My hernia repairs appear to have healed fine following the surgery, but I do still have swelling and soreness on either side and just above my testicles. My problem, since the surgery, I have an overactive (if that's possible) cremasteric reflex and my testicles spend most of the day ascended in my abdomen. I believe, but don't know for sure that this is due to scar tissue affecting/shortening my spermatic chord. I feel like my testicles are constantly being squashed! I had a consultation/examination with the surgeon last week and he has said it is fine and is just taking a while to heal. I can't run at the moment and I limit all physical activity as much as possible; it just leads to more pain/swelling. I would love to know when my testicles will go back to normal and when I'll be able to run again..

I had ventral hernia repair almost 5 weeks ago. I don't know what caused it, I am not overweight and in pretty good shape. I was on pain medicines oxycodone for 3 days then ibuprofen for about 5 days. Gradually after about a week the pain began to subside. End of second week I went for exercise walks. I still experience slight pain in the surgery area around navel and mesh area. Mesh area near belt line is a little puffy and swollen. Doctor gave me limitations of 20 lb lifting after the 2 weeks. I have been off of work the whole time. I will be going back to the doctor today for a nod to go back to work after 5 weeks. A little worried about work requirements like lifting, pushing, pulling, etc. We'll see today..