Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis.
How was your sepsis treated?

(Optional)

I had two infected cuts on my body from gardening, the skin swelled it was very painful, hot, and discolored. I had treatment from a homeopath, it did help initially and then it suddenly got worse. I felt my health deteriorating, felt so confused, had red lines going up my arm and leg, and was cold with temp 35.00, going hot and cold. Blood pressure (BP) was initially elevated as stressed by pain, then went low. My CRP was up 7 and WCC low; it is always low with infection, I felt really ill. I had the infection 2 weeks. I went to the hospital and the doctor was very busy and short-staffed. I told him I felt like collapsing and asked for a wheelchair, and he told me to get up and walk; he did not get how serious it was. He gave me IV antibiotics 2 g flucloxacillin which I believe saved my life, and oral antibiotics for 7 days. I spent 2 weeks collapsing, I could not drive or do anything. My friend took me to a general physician and my BP was 90/50, he still did not get how ill I was. It was the most frightening experience of my life that I could not get the first doctor to understand how ill I was. I am still recovering 6 weeks later, and still have periods of low BP 90/50. Never ever underestimate a serious skin infection, it can gallop and spread. I am a registered nurse of 35 years’ experience and I knew this was far from normal..

Published: June 06

I had a case of diarrhea. My doctor sent me to the hospital to have it checked out. They took a sample and said I had sepsis so they gave me an antibiotic. This treatment did not help. About a week later my husband told me what happened. I have no memory of it at all. He said that he took my temperature and said it was 105, and that I was confused, so he called an ambulance to take me to the emergency room. They put me in ICU. After a week I was not getting any better, so they had to intubate me. I was intubated for 6 days, and every time they tried to get me breathing on my own it didn't work. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and rehabilitation for 1 week. My family still tells me the awful stories of those 3 weeks..