Fainting - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fainting.
What was the cause of your fainting?

(Optional)

Published: June 06

I fainted couple of days ago for the second time. First time happened two years ago. I have a spine injury and suffer from severe migraine headaches. The doctor did ECG and brain scan but could not find any obvious reasons. I had migraine symptoms at the time and got up to take sumatriptan. Next moment I found myself on floor. I am very worried it could happen again whilst driving or something. I have sound in my ears like water moving and pain on the right side of neck..

There is also occlusion of the vertebra-basilar artery from atherosclerosis or (no one ever thinks of this one) instability of the atlas, from trauma including rotatory neck manipulations. These are drop attacks and look like fainting except there is no loss of consciousness. The eyes go dark, extreme dizziness occurs and the limbs collapse, legs first. The person feels like they passed out but is still aware. By falling, the neck position changes and they come to again quickly but it can cause strokes if the artery decides to spasm..