Hives - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema.
Please describe your experience with hives.

(Optional)

Published: March 21

I started to get small spots that tingled one November. By December I was getting swollen sections on my lips and hives, mostly in the groin. By January the random swelling went to eyes and most sweaty spots (groin, waistline, armpits, and hairline). Primary doctor and immunologist say it is idiopathic angioedema. Basically unknown cause. Allegra alleviates the symptoms. By February I was getting symptoms so often that I am on Allegra constantly. I get the symptoms near the end of the drug’s usefulness. Drug is good for 24 hours. I get symptoms 23 to 35 hours after taking Allegra. I'm worried Allegra will stop working. The frequency is increasing and the underlying cause will remain unknown apparently..

I was either stung or bitten on top my right hand while wearing yardwork gloves. It was about 88 degrees outside. I removed the glove but couldn't find what caused the sting or bite. It hurt like a wasp bite. My hand started swelling. By the time I got to my house my palms were itching, next my elbows, my bra area, back, scalp, the back of my knees, my vaginal area, my rectum, the top of both feet. It was maddening. It was like having an instant yeast infection in my vaginal area, rectum and my tongue turned white with coating. My eyelids swelled and the white of my eyes turned pink. I showered, and it made the hives worse. I filled the tub with cold water, a quart of white vinegar and a box of baking soda. The itching was unbearable. The welts were everywhere but on my face. But my nose and chin were really red. I took a Benadryl that was about 10 years old out of desperation. About 55 minutes after the sting, I drove myself to an urgent care office. I was given a shot of prednisone, a prescription of prednisone and a prescription for hydroxide for the itching. The medicines helped immediately. Most of the welts and swelling are gone now, approximately 40 hours later. If this should happen again, I will skip the shower, bath and find someone to drive me to the urgent care because I really was light headed and I shouldn't have been driving. I have had my share of yeast infections and poison ivy infections but this itching from the sting or bite was worse than anything I've ever experienced..