Kidney Stones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones.
For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

(Optional)

For several weeks I had lower back pain. It wasn't disabling, just there. After three weeks, my right lower back hurt so bad I thought an ovary had twisted or something. I tried to wait it out. I took a hot bath. I got out of the tub and proceeded to start vomiting in the toilet. The pain in my back was severe. I woke my husband up and asked him to drive me to the emergency room. I then threw up more there and gave a urine sample. The pain was so bad, I could barely walk and talked very quietly. They did a CT scan and found out I had a 4 mm stone that was in my tube that goes from the kidney to the bladder. They gave me pain medications and anti-nausea medication. Once the pain was lessened, I was sent home with pain medication, anti-nausea medication, super strong Tylenol, and a medication that was to relax the walls of the tube. They told me to drink a lot of liquids with real lemon juice in them. It took three more days for it to move to my bladder and then came out with no issues. I am still waiting to find out what it is made of. I am 52 and it was my first stone ever. I hope I never get another one. It was worse than having a baby and I did all natural child birth with my two boys. Worst pain ever!.

Published: March 28

My 36th birthday present was excruciating, life-changing pain, first in my bladder, then in my kidney. The first occurred on a Thursday morning. It woke me out of sleep at 4:30 am. My bladder was spasming a lot. By 6:30, I couldn't wait any longer for the urgent care center to open so I went to the emergency room (ER). I've had urinary tract infections (UTI) before, but never so painful. I essentially urinated blood into the sample cup, which freaked me out. The doctor said there was some infection but my symptoms were more like a kidney stone, so he offered me a CT scan. I declined thinking it was just a terrible UTI. I tried to work, but eventually went home when ibuprofen wasn't killing the pain anymore. Friday morning, my birthday, I woke up in the worst pain I will probably ever experience in my life. I wanted to die. I was screaming and writhing. I got a hold of my mom and she took me to the ER. Thankfully the pain passed after about 20 minutes. They did the CAT scan and found one stone about to enter my bladder and another in my kidney. Right as I was about to be discharged I had another attack. Thank goodness I was still there and on IV. They gave me Toradol earlier but the pain cut right through that so they gave me Dilaudid. It took some time to fully kick in but it was a life saver. I passed a stone, pain free, later that night. I guess I'm supposed to sit around and wait for the second to drop into my ureter a day, week, month, or years from now. Fun..