Palpitations - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Palpitations (Causes, During Pregnancy, Symptoms, Treatment).
Please describe your experience with palpitations.

(Optional)

Published: March 09

I have experienced stress induced palpitations since I was 24 years of age. They were very short at first like 2 to 5 minutes until the age of 55 and they would last 2 to 4 hours and the longest were 6 to 10 hours at 179 beats per minute. I was sent for tests and was told it was supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) and congestive heart failure (CHF). I had a cardiac defibrillator put in to stop the palpitations. So I guess if other family members did not have the same thing going on with them as I did I might have seen someone sooner; I thought it was normal. In hindsight I wish I had gone to an emergency room sooner, that is when I knew it was not normal..

Published: March 24

I have had two atrial fibrillation attacks and on April 5 I'm having cardio ablation. I'm a little nervous about it but I think I'm in good hands and hope like crazy that it cuts down the number of palpitations that I get. It seems that I get many palpitations at night. Go figure, I'm not putting any stress on the heart of course but it really jumps around. By morning when I awake, I don't feel the palpitations. It all began with hyperthyroidism. I really want to get off the medicines (metoprolol and digoxin) that I'm on, I'll have to use the blood thinner forever. I'm female, 55..

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow