Chronic Pain - Management

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chronic Pain.
What steps have you taken to manage your chronic pain?

(Optional)

I was in a high speed car accident as a passenger on my 22nd birthday, I am now 62; and wound up with chronic pain. I continued to muddle through life but not like other people. After about 15 years of seeing doctor after doctor to get codeine for the pain so I could at the very least just keep muddling through, they finally tell me that I have a degenerative disc disease and I now need surgery. I was so happy I was finally getting someone to acknowledge that it wasn't all in my head that I couldn't say ok fast enough. Three days later I was under the knife and the pain doubled. I have never before been in so much pain as the first time waking up post operation. I have always been a person who can usually take more pain than most. Another 15 years go by and I get my 1st pain pump (Dilaudid). I have had it nearly twenty five years now and the 1st 5 were great before it began to taper off. You get used to it. Now I have no space between the lumbar vertebrae, it is bone to bone and I am not in a wheel chair yet but not far off. Funny thing is other than the pain I feel great but that spine controls everything..

Published: June 02

The perfect candidate. It started slowly, I started having aches body wide. It hurt to just have someone rub against my skin. My Fibro entered my life at the most depressing and upsetting time. Loss of my job, boyfriend, death of my father, many family illnesses and deaths, putting down my beloved dog, Noelle, probably made my friend thought I had lost desire for him. The pain intensified. No one seemed to understand and seemed to think I was just a chronic complainer. It seemed a no-win situation. Every day became a genuine struggle just to get out of bed, get dressed, and go to my physically demanding job. There was certainly no understanding on the job front, as everyone was required to pull their own weight, which I totally understood. Eventually, I became unable to work and left the job place feeling utterly defeated and wondering how I was going to support myself. I might add that the medications that did provide some relief were not allowed on the job site, so there appeared no solution. To make my already long story shorter, I have had to apply for social security disability. As of this date, no determination has been made. In the meantime, I receive food stamps, have sold possessions, have had to rely somewhat on family and friends. Of course, most families and friends can only supply so much support. Therefore, I have put my situation in God's hands, because I truly cannot deal with all it alone..