Helicobacter Pylori - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about H. pylori Infection (Helicobacter Pylori).
What was the treatment for you Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori)?

I diagnosed myself with Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori). My doctor asked for my symptoms and agreed to do a blood test. The treatment prescribed was Pylera. It cost over USD 900.00 and is a 10 day treatment. I asked for something more affordable. I was put on a triple treatment that lasted 14 days and cost USD 50.00. I took metronidazole, amoxicillin, and clarithromycin, called the triple treatment. Also added was ranitidine to reduce acid. This was a 14 day course of pills twice a day. I read the horror stories about how sick it can make you and I wanted it to work the first time. So, I did some research and added a pro-biotic, 2 hours after lunch and before bed time. The probiotic was well away from the morning and dinner time dose of pills. I also watched my diet. No gluten and no acid foods like tomatoes. No Fatty foods, like steak or buttered popcorn. No dairy, like yogurt, cheese and milk. No sugar, coffee, caffeine, carbonated drinks, pickles, spicy food and low fiber grains. Another article listed various foods that are good for you because these foods inhibit the growth of pylori. I added apples, all cruciferous vegetables, coconut butter, olive oil, stevia, licorice tea, green tea, garlic, cranberries, fruit, sweet potatoes, lean protein like chicken. I also chewed sugarless trident gum after I ate. This put more saliva in my stomach which helped me digest. My experience was much better than I feared. Day 2, 3, 4, made me tired, unable to sleep, nauseous, metallic taste, and diarrhea. By day 5 I felt fine and now on day 6, I had my normal energy. I will most likely have a loose stool for the remainder of the treatment. I also got rid of most symptoms of H. Pylori like frequent urination, (I could not wear underwear or jeans before this treatment), bloating, stomach pain, and a lump in my throat. The metallic taste is much less frequent..

I had a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy as I was experiencing a burning pain on the right side of my lower abdomen. I have suffered for years from IBS but the pain was increasing. The doc said I have a hiatal hernia and the Helicobacter Pylori infection. He has put me on to 2 antibiotics. .