Emphysema - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema.
What were the symptoms of your emphysema?

After many months of testing for shortness of breath, I was diagnosed with asthma in 2009. It was shocking because I had never had lung issues ever before. Three or four months ago after our hurricane in Florida, we were left with considerable damage with a lot of mold damage. It was of course removed promptly by a professional company, and with my help. It seems since then my ability to function in life doing anything has diminished. I can hardly get out of bed without having to hold on to something. A doctor visit, having a pulmonary function test and a CT scan of my lungs show I have severe emphysema. I feel like my world has been pulled out from underneath me. My pulmonary doctor told me I only have 38 percent of my lung usage and that I should stop working immediately and file for social security disability. I feel my doctor did not tell me what to expect. Or what stage of the disease I was in. I feel I was given a too sick to work diagnosis but nothing else. If anyone could please give some insight as to what I should ask my doctor I would greatly appreciate it. I have quit my job. I was a merchant marine officer. I am at a loss as though I am not working my bills continue to come in. My wife of 22 years is disabled. So her disability income is all we have. I am more worried about how losing my insurance from my previous employment will be handled..

I started with shortness of breath and found out I had mild emphysema which scared me bad. My doctor put me on oxygen at night and I do my nebulizers usually once or twice a day. It seems to be worse in the mornings and then I'm ok throughout the day but I'm still really scared. I know that emphysema is a progressive disease and it's different with everybody. I just hope I have more time than I think..