Emphysema - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema.
What were the symptoms of your emphysema?

(Optional)

I started with shortness of breath and found out I had mild emphysema which scared me bad. My doctor put me on oxygen at night and I do my nebulizers usually once or twice a day. It seems to be worse in the mornings and then I'm ok throughout the day but I'm still really scared. I know that emphysema is a progressive disease and it's different with everybody. I just hope I have more time than I think..

About a year ago I started coughing and coughed up a lot of mucus. I went through a series of tests, including PFT (pulmonary function test), 6-minute walk, CT scan, and x-rays of chest. Pulmonologist also did biopsy of sections of my lungs. It was negative for cancer. I was also receiving iron infusion because of my low energy. Iron levels are now up to normal. I have started exercising at least 20 minutes per day, trying for 30. My pulmonologist is very terse. It was only during my last consultation that he mentioned in passing that I had emphysema. I have since informed myself of the condition, and have concluded I might die an early death. I am 74, but not suffering from dementia and have no illnesses for the past 8 years. I have had flu shot and pneumonia shot. I cannot bear the thought that I might die in 5 years. My wife will suffer terribly without my being around..