Rectal Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rectal Cancer.
What symptoms did you experience with rectal cancer?

(Optional)

My mother was diagnosed with colorectal cancer a year ago. She's gone through chemotherapy and radiation. As a result of that she developed enteritis and burning of the colon. She became so backed up that they had to put a stent in her colon. Ever since she has had incontinence to the bladder and the colon. My mother is in constant pain stomach wise and with back pain. She is weak and sleeps on a couch all day long. Doctors gave her oxycodone but we think it made her back pain worse. She went off them and now is facing terrible pain. She took Aleve, Tylenol and those are not even working. She has stage 3 colorectal cancer..

I just found out yesterday after my colonoscopy that I have rectal cancer. I started having bleeding 2 years ago after a very large bowel movement. I mentioned it to my family doctor on my 2 subsequent annual checkups and he said he thought it was just a fissure, and if the blood is on the outside of the stool, it was not of concern. Finally, this year, he referred me to a surgeon and advised endoscopy. At the consult, as soon as I said I had bleeding, he said I needed a colonoscopy; case closed, no discussion. Before the procedure, I described my symptoms, he said it sounded like hemorrhoids, but you always need to have a look. As soon as I woke up, he was there to deliver the bad news. It looks like an MRI, surgery in 6 weeks, who knows what else, and he said it looked like 'a couple of centimeters'. I have to wait till Tuesday to book a follow up appointment for more information. I suspect the MRI is to see how bad things really are. I have had a feeling for the past 6 months that things weren't right. If only I had insisted on follow up 2 years ago. Interestingly, 2 FOBTs (fetal occult blood tests) came back negative. Advocate for yourself! If you have any blood at all insist on a colonoscopy. The test is nothing, you sleep through the whole thing..