Hearing Loss - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hearing Loss.
What was the cause of your hearing loss?

(Optional)

I have problems hearing some women's voices (when low tone) and hearing group discussions in particular room locations. I have recently been to an audiologist. A booth test indicated left ear some loss of hearing. Hearing aid of a style to be outside the ear was recommended for both ears. I am electro-hypersensitive and a computer adjusted or battery-in-ear hearing aid would not be workable. I have had severe reaction to such devices. Perhaps this condition of diminished hearing in the one ear is due to old age (however, why just one ear). Some history which may or may not be relevant: a year ago December I underwent surgery. Maybe the type of drugs used. About 3 years ago, smart meter replaced analog electric meter. One evening, a short time after smart meter was installed, I walked by the meter and was painfully stunned by an unseen force which hit my left ear and/or jaw just under the ear. The discomfort lasted for some days/weeks before seeming to clear. At various times since, the left jaw area seems, I might describe it, as inflamed (tense, slightly warm, irritated). Two audiologists recently seen have both readily recommended over-the-ear hearing aids without any discussion of the jaw problem relating to or influenced by occurring jaw discomforts I have been experiencing. I wonder if jaw injury influences hearing. Also, beyond audiologist, I would like to find out what specialists might be helpful to my condition/s..

When I was 7 years old I was injected with streptomycin due to illness. Gradually when I was in my teen years and up to now I find it is very hard for me to understand what people are saying. I can hear them loud but the words are not clear..