West Nile Virus - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about West Nile Virus.
What symptoms did you experience with the West Nile virus?

(Optional)

Published: June 16

I was very healthy when I contracted West Nile virus (WNV) in 2014. Symptoms included massive headache that emanated from the base of my skull, stiff neck, fever, and extreme fatigue (in bed 23 of 24 hours). I recall telling a friend I felt like I had to remind myself to breathe sometimes. It wasn't diagnosed by blood test, until the virus started to resolve itself a couple of months later. I experienced fatigue for another couple of years, and still need 10 hours sleep a night. Every now and then I still have a period of extended headaches due to inflammation. Muscles deteriorated and I am still working on a full comeback. It is upsetting that people and the medical community blow you off; oh, I'm not worried about WNV 'because I'm healthy'. I was too. It's a mistake to broadcast that 80 percent of people don't even know they have it..

I had massive migraine headaches, body aches, chills, fever, sensitivity to light, pain behind my eyes, and muscles weakness. The headache lasted for 6 days straight, and no medicine would take it away. It has been 8 days now and the headache has returned with a vengeance. Hopefully, it will all be over soon, but I doubt it!!!.