Emphysema - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema.
Please describe your experience with emphysema.

(Optional)

Believe it or not emphysema is beatable. I did it. I’m male and 57 years old. I was diagnosed with mild emphysema 6 years ago. Before I was diagnosed, I was smoking on average 30 cigarettes/day at least for 35 years. I quit smoking the same night that I was diagnosed. I never smoked again. I had my regular life and no change in life style after I was diagnosed. Six months ago I had much more shortness of breath. I went to my doctor, they took PFT and CT scan, and emphysema had progressed to higher level to moderate level. I asked the doctor how long I will live. It progressed from mild to moderate within 5 to 6 years. He had no answer. I was prescribed steroid tablets for a week, and shortness of breath improved 40 to 50 percent. Then I was prescribed Advair inhaler. I used it for a month and I had better breathing but too many side effects, dizziness, and tiredness. I stopped Advair after a month. I decided to change my life style. I did it and beat emphysema. I did either brisk walking or aerobic activity for minimum 60 minutes/day. I pursued lips and diaphragmatic breathing 3 to 4 times a day, 5 to 6 minutes each time. Most important was eating habits change, I take vegetable, fish, meat, egg, seeds and fruit on a daily basis now. No processed food. Processed food like sausages and bacon are not are dangerous for emphysema patients. No potato, rice and white bread. I’m taking vitamin A and NAC supplement on a daily basis. I am taking flax and chia seeds every day. I had PFT and lung scan last week. Results show no emphysema or obstruction. Doctor says he has never seen such a thing in 30 years of his career..

I have emphysema and have never smoked a day in my life. I cough all the time, some bouts for as long as 30 minutes. I do not really know how to cope with it and have a poor quality of life. I have had it for about 2 years and have been told that I could die within 5 years..