Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia).
How was the diagnosis of your low potassium (hypokalemia) established?

(Optional)

First time I suffered from hypokalemia I was 15 years old. I started getting, what I though, growth pain in my legs. It hurt more and more, until the day I suddenly fell to the ground. I got up, walked a few meters and fell to the ground again. I couldn't walk at all after this. I was rushed to the emergency where they noticed my potassium was at a low-low 1.1. I had to stay for over a week in intensive care. This has since then happened 4 times, about 4 to 5 years between. My potassium is most often around 1, 5-1, and 8 when I get to the emergency clinic. I now notice the tingling feeling and stiffness before it gets too low..

I noticed my blood pressure not lowering and staying at 148/90 so I got worried and went to the doctor. I also started feeling heart palpitations. More so when I would lie down of relax. I got the blood results and my potassium is 3.2 which is lower than normal. Previously I was taking water pills. About 5 months ago I took potassium supplements and I'm still low. I'm also experiencing headaches. I guess I have to take supplements again..