Shingles - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles.
How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

(Optional)

Published: December 27

I have been to a doctor four times in 4 months. The blisters were diagnosed as white tailed spider bites, diabetes, smoking/drinking and finally shingles. For 6 months I have been on antibiotics that did nothing at all except make me feel ill. The last doctor prescribed acyclovir which seems to help. I had it first on my back then the last outbreaks have been strange burn blisters down my arms and legs. It looks like burns, or something from the garden. Blisters that hurt, ache, then itch and I have a giant feeling of being unwell. I just want to sleep and feel like I have the flu or pneumonia. I have no idea why this keeps happening, my arm and now leg just keeps ulcerating. Christmas Eve it erupted again, there does not seem to be much information on what is happening to me. My eyes and ears are also affected. I can't see or hear. Before the blisters appeared I thought I had a kidney infection..

Published: June 23

My shingles started with a sore swollen tip of my nose. On the second day the swelling and soreness had moved to the bridge of my nose and between my eyes. The left side of my face was sore to the touch, but no pain. I was shivering by evening and my left side of the face began to swell and get hot. Both lymph nodes were swollen and hard on neck. I went to a doctor who thought it was early shingles. So I was started on antibiotics for facial infection, and anti-viral. The rash lasted about 4 days. Blistering was done on face and I felt pretty good. Then the neck and head pain started. I was confused. Usually shingles begins with pain and finishes with rash, but mine was different. The pain was on the back of my neck and up to the center of back of skull. It is now day 8 and I was put on new drug called Horizon for post-shingle pain. It helps but makes me drowsy. Now the hard part begins; waiting for the pain to quit which may take days, weeks, or months. By the way, I had Bell’s palsy on the same side of my face about 5 years ago. I believe there may be a connection..