Viewer Comments: Seizures in Children - Home Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Seizures in Children:

Seizures in Children - Home Treatment

What home remedies have been effective for your child seizures?

Comment from: Summ0506, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 18

On July 1st, 2017 my husband, my son (11 years old), and myself were out of town shopping. While my husband was on the back of our truck I was talking to my son (sitting in the back seat). He was talking to me, responding, seemingly fine. I was then on the back of the truck about 5 minutes helping my husband. I got back in the truck, said something to my son and he didn't respond. I turned to look and noticed he was foaming at the mouth and his eyes were rolled back in his head. I jumped into the backseat and started shaking him. He didn't respond. My husband opened the back door and my 11 year old son fell out limply into my husband's arms. I called 911 and the operator advised we lay him on the pavement on his side. As we were doing this, we noticed his lips and face were turning blue. The 911 operator advised me to start CPR. Thankfully, the mall security guard came up at this time and she started performing CPR. His supervisor also performed CPR and was able to get a pulse. So he was breathing again. Less than 2 minutes later, the paramedics arrived. They were able to get him stable and loaded into the ambulance for transport to the hospital. He had seizures again on the way to the hospital and the doctors put him into a medically induced coma. He stayed in the coma for 3 days while test after test after test was ran. He was given 4 different antibiotics at once via IV. He had a spinal tap, EEG, and MRI among other things. Even though he was in a coma during his MRI, the nurse told us that he had pulled himself out of the machine. They had to stop the test and give him more medicine. This gave us hope. He spent 3 days in the PICU in a coma and on a breathing tube. On the 3rd day, they brought him out of the coma. He was a bit afraid because he did not remember what had happened. Other than being scared and hungry he seemed to be fine. All of his tests came back clear. The doctors could not give us an explanation as to what caused this. On one hand it was a relief that nothing major was wrong. But on the other, the fear that we live with every day since then is excruciating.

Comment from: bongi, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 14

My 3 year old has seizures once in a while. It's so awful, I don't like his sickness. He gets hot up with temperature. I've been to the hospital and they say everything is fine.

Must Read Articles Related to Seizures in Children

Febrile Seizures (Seizures and Fever)
Seizures and Fever Febrile seizures, also known as convuls...learn more >>
Seizures Emergencies
Seizures Emergencies Seizures refer to uncontrolled electr...learn more >>
Seizure
Wilderness: Seizure Seizure is a neurological condition t...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Seizures in Children:

Seizures in Children - Symptoms

What symptoms did your child experience before, during, and after his/her seizure?