Sepsis

What was the cause of your sepsis (blood infection)? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: jannie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 23

I don't know for sure just yet, all we know is my husband has a blood infection (likely sepsis/septicemia - we figure likely caused by dental work/surgery done in Jamaica under less than sterile conditions). I have now told him he is not allowed back to Jamaica under any circumstances.

Comment from: Darrenshan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I got a staph infection in my knee joint without having any injury or surgery, which caused the sepsis.

Comment from: Grami2six.com, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Gallbladder gangrene was the cause of my sepsis.

Comment from: Joyce, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 20

Having a pain in my left side at waist level I was given cream to rub on. I went back to the doctors in five days after taking my temperature. I was in hospital within hours, I had an abscess in my peritoneum which had burst, and when I tried to eat everything came back up. For 5 weeks every day blood was taken until they found something that would help the sepsis, in the meantime I was so weak it was so tiring to be sick every time I tried to eat. I was put on chrysomycin injections for 6 weeks twice a day, then 2 week off, and then another course of 4 weeks. I am still here after 50 years.

Comment from: tracy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

On June 17th, 2014 my colon ruptured, sending me into septic shock. I almost died from it. I had no idea what it was. I had never heard of it. I was in the ICU on a ventilator for 5 days. The doctor didn't think I would make it. It is a miracle I did. I am suffering from the aftermath of sepsis. I need more info on this monster. I need to know where I can go for treatment and to get help.

Comment from: Ppaligator, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

I had a broken leg from a car accident where my tibia and fibula protruded through the skin. No preventative measure matching the risk was given because of which I got sepsis. You believe that doctors and surgeons do their best and care deeply for their patients. They don't. They enjoy extravagant lives on your insurance and don't care.

Comment from: Terrytunes60, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I contracted pneumonia, diabetes and sepsis on the same day. No one is sure how long all of this was brewing. Four years later I am on dialysis.

Comment from: kk, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I had been operated cataract of my left eye. I never take allopathic medicine. After 20 days I had high fever, I went to the doctor, he did blood test and diagnosed urinary infection, and gave me antibiotics for 4 days. After that I have been feeling very weak and dull and between 1400 and 1700 hours every day I have very high fever. I then went to Ayurveda doctor he examined me and said I have blood infection and now his treatment is on for 7 days. Let us see what improvement I have.

Comment from: mike, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 02

My brother-in-law went to hospital because he was very sick. They kept sending him back home, he had high fever and was disoriented. Finally kept him the 3rd time and said he had fluid. He was so weak he had to be brought in by ambulance. They sent him to another hospital which automatically put him in ICU. They called all kinds of specialists in and found the bacteria and it had gone to his heart. If anyone could help him it would be an infectious disease doctor, so they rushed him to another facility which also put him in ICU with a doctor waiting on him. The bacteria was so bad that it had eaten, yes eaten, his arteries to his heart. They called the family in and said there was absolutely nothing they could do for him and that if they had a heart lying there, there was nothing there to connect it to. We questioned the doctor about where it could have come from and he said maybe a cut, a sore; he really couldn't tell but he had had it for a while. Well, he had a small place on his leg that would not heal and his leg would swell but because he had no insurance he would not go to the doctor. People, insurance or not, your life could depend on it. Up until the week of Christmas he was ok or so we thought. If you go to ER and they send you back and don't do anything for you then go somewhere else, your life might just depend on it. Sometimes they are so busy they miss things. At least you'd have a second opinion.

Comment from: His sister, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 19

I have a 30 year old brother with late stages of Multiple Sclerosis. He was re-admitted to the hospital about 10 days ago for treatment of C-diff in his stool which he had almost 3 weeks prior to his last hospital stay. During his recovery at home, he was getting a medication called Flagyl for his c-diff infection. He had fevers and sweats almost every day. We continued to give him his medication as directed, thinking this stool infection would clear up, but it never did. By the 10th day of Flagyl treatment, we called the doctor to report that "he was still having a lot of blood tinged diarrhea. He told us to take him back to the hosp which we did. Due to the fevers, the doctors did all kinds of test and we found out he has an infection in his blood. They have been treated him with all kinds if IV antibiotics. They draw blood cultures everyday and they still come back positive and he is still positive for c-diff. The doctors are saying "we've done all that we could do". Now they are calling for the Infection Control Team. My family is a bit worried of the fact that we may have waited too late to get him treatment sooner.

Comment from: dodiep, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I am a 62 year old woman who was admitted to the hospital in November of 2009 due to a kidney stone blockage. Shortly after my admission I had a dramatic drop in blood pressure and was rushed to ICU. After the stone was pushed back into the kidney, and of course lost of fluids and antibiotics, I started to recover from the sepsis. I was in ICU for 4 days. Since then I have had treatments to break the stones and have been given many antibiotics. I am concerned, as I do not feel well most of the time (tired and feverish). I fear that I have become antibiotic resistant and will have another episode of sepsis. Doctor's tell me that what happened to me is extremely rare.

Comment from: zip, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My husband (40) has had sepsis 3 times. It started with an infected tooth, which resulted in a week in ICU. The second time he just seemed groggy, but could not wake him up. This latest time was a few weeks ago, he was having trouble breathing while he was sleeping, I could not wake him, he had pneumonia with the beginning stages of sepsis. His blood pressure was extremely low for two days in ICU. We are currently looking into ways to get this sepsis gone from his system. If anyone has any ideas for us we would love to hear them! We are now terrified of him catching a cold for fear it will turn to pneumonia and sepsis. Our two kids are mortified of the hospitals; we just can't believe how much this illness seems to be coming back and back and back.

Comment from: Happylady8, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 03

My 34 year old son was sent from a country hospital to a larger regional one after his blood pressure dropped dramatically - due to an infected foot. The second hospital cleaned out the wound and left a gaping hole, and the doctor asked my son the next day how he felt. My son still had a headache, and his foot was swelling and getting redder by the minute. He was discharged. I immediately took him to the capital city major hospital (170kms) where they immediately admitted him. We had the microbiologist, orthopedic and general doctor see him. They were really worried that the infection would travel to the plates he had in a formerly broken ankle. His C Reactive Protein level was 200 and the doctor said the normal was 5. We are making a formal complaint to the health consumer council. Be aware, make sure the CRP is taken and you know the results before being discharged with any infection.

Comment from: Tracey747, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 21

My mum is 74. I took her to hospital before Xmas very ill with a cough and temperature. There was an obvious chest infection, but they sent her home saying there was no infection. A week later she's in in hospital with pneumonia and sepsis.

Comment from: Lucky, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I am typing this from my hospital bed. I had noticed some swelling and discoloration in my legs. I pointed them out to my fiancee, then set up an appointment with our surgeon thinking it was another cyst. A couple days later I left work early, feeling dizzy, nauseated, and tired. It turns out I also had a fever. I saw a prompt care doctor that afternoon. He did a blood draw and saw the infection in my blood. I hadn't yet reached a critical level, so I was prescribed some oral antibiotics, and a cream. I was also and ordered us to see a doctor the next day. I went to the hospital and I was admitted immediately.

Comment from: Jenessa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I'm a 26-year-old female who has been dealing with addiction for seven years! I have been an IV drug user on an off! I have been clean a little over three months when I became very sick. I had a 10% chance of making it -- all over using needles! The infection was in the main valve of my heart. Thankfully, I got better, or I was going for open heart surgery. The infection went to my right lung, which collapsed, filling with fluid. I had a chest tubw and was hospitalized for two weeks. After that I was sent to a nursing home. Addiction is not worth the trouble.

Comment from: dallie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I just had a baby and was not properly cleaned out during delivery, resulting in sepsis.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I was diagnosed with vulvodynia. I never had any problems with my urethral opening. Two weeks later, I developed stinging and burning when urinating. I also had chills. I told the doctor about this and he didn't seem to be worried. I thought he should have asked for a urine specimen. Exactly one week later I was admitted to the hospital with severe septicemia.

Comment from: dearhunter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am 62 yrs old. I have RA and I had been taking prednisone. I became sick but I was completely unaware of my illness. I was in ICU for four days before I knew where I was. I had sepsis and double pneumonia. I first got a deep vein blood clot. I was hospitalized for eight times over a period of almost four months. I came very close to dying. I was in the hospital with sepsis and pneumonia for 2 weeks. I lost so much strength I had to go to a rehab hospital for 22 weeks. They got me off my bed and on a walker.

Comment from: Lucy, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 15

My mother was admitted to the hospital today with sepsis. We believe it started with a cat bite a few days ago. She's in ICU and will hopefully have a full recovery. She told me she thinks they'll let her out soon. She doesn't realize how sick she really is, but at least she is in good spirits. She's a fighter. She has four different IVs in her, her blood pressure is dangerously low, and she's in renal failure. The nurses seem optimistic though... as her blood pressure is starting to rise.

Comment from: twotinymaltese, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 10

My mom, 86 entered the hospital with low blood pressure due to dialysis and then they found the bacterial septic infection in her chest. All of the treatments you listed have been done in the past week. Most recently her breathing was shallow and she needed to be intubated. This was necessary so they could do the dialysis as well as repair a problem with her catheter (that works with the dialysis). She is quite the fighter but we (my sister and I) wait to see if she pulls through.

Comment from: mona, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 04

My mom had colon cancer, last stage. The doctor said, when during the surgery he was removing the damaged part of colon, the tissue was falling apart, so damaged it was. The next day after the surgery my mom started having fever, and had it for four weeks until she died. The doctor said he believed she had fever from both - sepsis and the very rapid spread of cancer, since the cancer cells got in the blood.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 26

My husband's sepsis seems to be caused by an UTI. He is a quadriplegic and this is his second bout with this. The early signs were overlooked by me because he had no fever and hadn't been feeling ill, just tired and a decrease in his normal eating habits. Until one morning he woke up confused about where he was and what was going on.

Comment from: jewelsie8, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 19

My father died from sepsis, we had no idea he was that sick. It all started with a cold. We still can't figure out how this happened.

Comment from: me, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I developed sepsis after a urinary tract infection spread to my kidneys because my body wasn't responding to antibiotics. I ended up having a rare bacteria strain that didn't respond to common antibiotics used to treat urinary tract infections.

Comment from: sandek60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I am 61 years old, I was in the Hospital for 4 months with sepsis shock I got it from buil-up of sludge and gallstones in my bile tube from removal of gallbladder 17 years ago. I went to a small town hospital and they sent me home with pain medications and did not test me for sepsis shock. The next day they sent to another hospital, where they saved my life.

My father got sepsis from a prostate biopsy.

Comment from: Terelyn71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

The cause of my sepsis was the extraction of an infected molar.

Comment from: Star, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

The doctors could not figure out how I got sepsis. I did have a ruptured cyst in one of my ovaries, had a lot of pain and that's why I went to the hospital. It turned out that my other ovary had multiple cysts. It appears that I already had sepsis when I went to the hospital, so that's why I think that when the cyst in my ovary ruptured, it released something that caused me to get sepsis. Thank God I was able to overcome it!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I developed sepsis post-surgery (microdiskectomy).

Comment from: kiki, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 28

I developed sepsis from an asymptomatic dental abscess.

Comment from: Mr eyre, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 10

My son who suffers from convulsions contracted a severe chest infection and after two attacks he complained of pain all over his body and was covered in a rash he had also had a nose bleed and had a high fever. He was rushed to the ER and taken to the I.C.U and it was found he had SEPSIS and his plates were very low. At first they treated it as meningitis he spent 9 days in hospital and is slowly on the mend and awaiting full results of test.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 08

My boyfriend is a C6-C7 Incomplete Quad and has a stage four on his hip and wears an indwelling catheter on a regular basis, so he always has urinary tract infections on a regular basis. When he started sweating profusely and started to shake really bad and started passing out, we assumed it was just a severe UTI so we took him to the doctor so he could receive his usual antibiotics and they drew blood and the very next day the doctor called us to let us know we needed to take him to the E.R. right away. They found sepsis in his blood. The doctor said that he was very lucky to be alive because most doctors would have ignored all of the signs and symptoms of sepsis because he was not running a high fever. So he has MRSA in his blood which was highly likely caused by the UTI as well as the stage four ulcer on his hip. This is a serious matter and could have easily caused him to die, so if you or know someone that has really bad chills and sweats and shakes and mental confusion call 911 right away before it's too late because my boyfriend had a mild septic shock which could have easily turned out to be severe and cause death.

Comment from: justice, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 19

My father-in-law went into the hospital with bronchitis and trouble breathing it then advanced into pneumonia and his body released an infection into his lungs and he was not able to recover. It all happened in a period of two weeks when his organs started to completely shut down he was in severe pain. He had never been sick from any kind of disease, infection, or even a minor cold. We were never really satisfied with the cause of death maybe there was more to it.

Al-Khafaji, Ali H. "Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome in Sepsis." Medscape. Mar. 7, 2017. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/169640-overview>.

Donovan, C., and J. Blewitt. "An Overview of Meningitis and Meningococcal Septicaemia." Emerg Nurse. 17.7 Nov. 2009: 30-6; quiz 37.