Sinus Infection

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your sinus infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Shauna , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

It is just awful. My sinus infection just pops up when it feels like it. It is ever so troubling me as of right now. It started December 29, 2017 and it has not left me alone yet. It just aggravates me to the core because my infection feels like they are trying to punish me. You know it is really bad when you fight with it and you take all kinds of medicine and when the medicine doesn't work or halfway clear it up then that is when you know the sinus congestion has won. Mine are so bad it is hard for me to breathe and I have to use an inhaler to get my breath because I can't breathe through my nose.

Comment from: Pete, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had sinus pain/infection issues since I was 35. It almost always occurs in the fall and winter months. I live in the Ohio valley which I have heard is the worst place in the country for sinus issues. The temperature swings here are horrible in the fall/winter months. I have seen ENT specialists several times, had a CAT scan of my sinus all to no conclusion. The worst part for me is being awakened during sleep by severe temple pain for months at a time. At this point, I am starting to think it is a weather related allergy issue.

Comment from: fed up, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have had sinus surgery twice and things have gotten a little better. However, I still have sinus infections quite a bit of the time. I have tried everything in the market for relief. Nothing really works for long. This infection has me kind of dizzy and disoriented. Let me tell you, I do not like this feeling at all. I am on third dose of antibiotics, I have good days and bad. I have 6 days left but can tell it is not gone. Like everyone else here I need help! Also right ear hurts all the time, I constantly have cotton in it to relieve pressure and pain.

Comment from: andrea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

My jaws hurt and ache as well as my gums the past two mornings, and I have been kind of sick to my stomach. I mowed grass yesterday and did some yard work and felt really bad afterwards. My nose is either stuffy or running, face throbs and about the only relief I get is from Tylenol. I also sneeze 4 to 6 times or more in a row because of the sinus infection.

Comment from: Jessica, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

With my sinus infection I experienced dull aches in my cheeks, forehead, headache, and a dull annoying ache in my upper jaw by my back teeth, made worse when lying down. My nose dripped hot watery mucus even though my nose felt very stuffy and congested.

Comment from: Margo, 55-64 Female Published: February 20

My sinus infection started with two severe dizzy spells which turned into a headache and slight nauseous feeling. Never having had a migraine I thought this could be my first. The next day I woke up with my eyes swollen and inflamed. Still with the headache symptoms. The third and fourth days I had severe pain in my throat, neck, forehead and eyes. My eyelids and just below the eyes were shockingly bright reddish pink and leaked for 48 hours straight along with my nose. I also began coughing that third day and developed a fever. I drank water continuously and took some Sovereign Silver, from the health food store, several times a day. On the fifth day I was feeling better however I was coughing up phlegm and began to worry that what ever I had was moving into my lungs. On that day I went to the doctors and ( I would have gone earlier but my two worst days was a Saturday and Sunday.) Upon examination, including a blood test for an increased white blood count and a throat swab and still with a fever everything was ruled out except the sinus infection. I am now taking 10 days of the antibotic, Amoxicillin. In all of the areas in my head that I mentioned; throat, eyes, head, neck, and forehead, the pain was absolutely acute. I wish to add that I was not sick prior to this attack, and I do feel it was an attack, however the day before I had been on a 6 hour plane flight.

Comment from: Jaw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I am of age 65. I have mild pain and tenderness to touch to my right cheek, and a slight swelling. I do have sinus problems due to allergies to dust, trees, and grass, no fever.

Comment from: Jmossa, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I am constantly having sinus headaches that last sometimes up to a week or longer. I have tried everything to relieve the pain but nothing helps. The worst pressure I have is behind my eyes and it's unbearable.

Comment from: Mare, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

My sinus infection symptoms are: dry swollen sinus, tinnitus, stiff neck, and drainage in back of throat on left side. Sinus surgery is scheduled on Wednesday of this week. I have hypogammaglobulinemia and recently, Addison's disease. I am on gamma globulin and not getting better. I'm also on massive steroid treatments. I give up!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

In October I had pleurisy and atelectasis which was treated with Naproxen, Tylenol and Aleve after the Naproxen. A scan was done for clots but not on the sinuses. The lungs cleared and the sinus pain began. I have completed 4 courses of antibiotics all different with no success. Recently I have blood coming from my nose. When I rinse the sinuses with salt water the blood pours into the sink from my nose. I have pressure on my face, headache, and pressure on my right eye and I am tired. I have noticed some fuzzy thinking and some fuzzy thinking and when the headache is bad some forgetfulness. I have gone to the doctor o going at least once a week plus to emergency once. The doctor in emergency said they would refer to a specialist who would see me quickly. It is two weeks and when I called they said they had a lot of paper work and when they see mine they would call with an appointment. When they do a scan for a clot in the lungs do they scan the sinuses and the brain or do they just scan the lungs. I am unhappy with the med system and I feel scared.

Comment from: Ann Barry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I experienced sudden, very severe pain above my left eye whilst coming in to land on a plane recently. It was so bad; the air crew asked if there was a doctor on board. They gave me various tests (which I later realized were for the possibility of a minor stroke), but concluded, happily for me, that it was a sinus infection after a cold I had had the previous three days. The pressure in the cabin was changed by the pilot re-ascending and then landing more slowly, and the pain virtually disappeared. However, the pain was extreme and unexpected.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I am pregnant and about 2 months ago I had a really bad cold the medicine I could take wouldn't help, it turned into my 1st sinus infection. I was very congested, had sinus pain and pressure and my top left teeth hurt badly Tylenol would not help. My doc put me on antibiotics and within 24 hours I was feeling better. Then 2 weeks ago my congestion got worse the pressure and headaches were back my throat hurt I was hot all the time. I am now on my 2nd round of antibiotics so let's hope it works this time.

Comment from: ace, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

The infection started in my teeth. I couldn't even chew gum. I thought I had a really bad cavity, then it spread to my jaw went up to my eyeballs I couldn't even touch my eye. Then it started spreading across my forehead and now it's in my neck. My skin is very sensitive to the touch and I feel like I have the flu.

Comment from: alex, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I get constant sinus infections. over the past few months my sinuses have gotten worse and I now have bruised eye sockets and terrible headaches.

Comment from: champagnedimeime, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

Someone please help me. My sinus infection is killing my eyes. I have had head aches for 5 days. I hear my sinus pop when I take medicines like alka selzers, and tylenol cold---but i want something for good. Bedsides, the doctor wont see me for 2 weeks. Should I go to the emergency room?

Comment from: artificialThespian, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

My nostrils are both slightly blocked, and my throat is a little sore and it hurts to swallow. My tonsils are swollen a bit, too.

Comment from: martini, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have blocked sinuses with facial pain on the right. I can't smell anything. I have a very blocked left ear, which buzzes and is sometimes painful.

Comment from: ginnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I'm not sure if it's a sinus infection, but my left eye keeps watering and hurts to touch around that area. And my left nostril seems to be clogged.

Published: June 19

I experience everything. The worse part about mine is the bad breath.

Comment from: Hawls, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I have had a sinus infection for three days. This is the first time it has settled in the right side of my mouth. My gums, roof of my mouth and all skin areas are so sensitive that drinking water hurts them. I can't brush my teeth they are so sensitive. I can't eat but little tiny bites on my left side. My teeth hurt. I have swelling on the right side of my face and I can feel slight pain now and then on the right nasal passageway.

Comment from: Rosali, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 11

The symptoms are thick yellowish green discharge, blocked nose with difficulty in breathing, pain and pressure over the affected sinus area with headache and cough.

Comment from: ducky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

When mine starts, it starts behind right eye into the temple. I have ear pain and pressure on whole right side of my face and a very tender neck, but no sore throat.

Comment from: chmama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I just got over a bad cold that lasted two weeks now for the past week I've had a horrible sharp yet dull pain/headache above my right eyebrow. Along with extreme tenderness to touch on brow line, and annoying twitching in eyebrow and around eye socket, not the eye itself. Evenings seems to be the worst when it feels like my eyes are being sucked into my forehead.

Comment from: Old golfer, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I have had many sinus infections before but never to this point. My face and nose have swelled to the point that my left eye is starting to close. I have been on amoxicillin 875 for one day now. I am better but the swelling from my eye to my neck is still bad. I can only hope this will change within the next day or two.

Comment from: Quacker , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have a headache above my eyebrows, cheekbones and back of my head. Green nasal discharge and some blood stained runny nasal discharge. Frequent gentle nose blowing required.

Comment from: Sunshine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have suffered from sinus infections for years and had two sinus surgeries and one frontal sinus obliteration. The infections would get better for a few weeks but then get worse. Now that I have had the obliteration surgery there does not seem much that can be done and I am in bed for weeks at a time, great pain. The Infection Disease doctor (first appointment) has scheduled a bone scan to see if the infection has spread to the bone. USE MUCINEX AND THE SINUS WASH!

Comment from: Matilda, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I first noticed severe pain in my ears and headache.The initial nasal discharge consisted of a large circular piece of a clear plastic this was followed by a quarter size solid piece similar to rubber.I produced one daily for a week then inserted a saline and warm water mixture into my nose and in two days this discharge ceased.

Comment from: Betty Boop, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I woke up one morning with a slight headache and my toothache. Throughout days I pretended to be superwoman and tried to block out the pain but that didn't work. My nose was stuffy and at night it was hard for me to get good sleep due to the congestion in my nose. My right side temple was throbbing and the right side of my mouth, the upper gum, back area of my mouth felt as if it was cramping. This was the first time I was introduced to a sinus infection and hopefully it is the last one!

Comment from: apple, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had a sore throat for two days, and I still went to work. On the second day when I had the sore throat I started sneezing and coughing and then on the four day I went to work feeling fine, but I was coughing and sneezing and my left ear was hurting.

Published: December 14

When I had a sinus infection, I had extreme jaw and mouth pain, and pain in cheek and head.

Comment from: Headachet, 25-34 (Patient) Published: November 22

It started with my left ear feeling plugged. Then the next day I was a little congested then a severe headache. It hit me out of nowhere and was extremely painful. Tylenol did nothing for me. It was pain behind my eyes above my ears and this occured everytime i would move my head. I have sweats and chills, achy muscles and no energy. Noise and bright light seems to make it worse. My jaw, teeth and neck ache as well. The pain makes me feel nauseated.

Comment from: MrM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I endured lots of sneezing, pressure and pain on my face and on my upper teeth, with severe nasal congestion getting much worse at night. I also had a runny nose, eventually turning to a thick, greenish/yellow discharge. I had a metallic taste in my mouth bad breath and I was almost unable to distinguish smells.

I experience chest congestion right away along with frontal headaches, pain around my eyes which is more painful with my glasses on. I also get a lot of mucus built up and post nasal drip. I also tend to lose my voice.

Comment from: PinkPony, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I always get a sinus infection following a cold. I have painful upper teeth and pain opening jaw. I have a frontal headache with postnasal drip and sometimes blurry vision.

Comment from: this too shall pass, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

In 2005, I had the first of three sinus surgeries for chronic sinusitis. I have been on so many antibiotics that help the condition, only to repeat the illness every three or four months. I have post nasal drip, aches around my eyes and upper cheeks and very thick discharge. What troubles me is the nose bleeds which cause soreness and the chest congestion. I am constantly feeling warm; yet when my temperature is taken it is normal or a minimum above normal. These constant episodes have left me frustrated, exhausted, and depressed. Since I am a caregiver for my husband and have all of the responsibilities without his help, I am constantly attempting to play catch-up and failing. I, also, miss doing activities that would bring me joy, gardening, painting, sewing, and volunteering.

Comment from: Jennifer, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have been suffering from sinusitis for 5 months and whenever I suffer from a cold, my condition becomes worse and my forehead and face will be very tender to touch. I even get lots of mucous in my nasal cavities, from high headache and mild fever. My doctor has suggested surgery.

Comment from: Gerjac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have a sinus infection and I have an itchy nose and a headache behind my itchy, red eyes. The light hurts my eyes. This is very painful.

Comment from: sandaclaus, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I started feeling pain and pressure in my jaw and ear so I thought it was from clenching my teeth, or something, while I slept. Now the pain has intensified tenfold to the point of the whole right side of my face (jaw, ear, cheekbone and temple) now are extremely painful and nothing seems to help with the pain - I've also had a persistent sore throat and cough that keeps me awake at night. I am 45yrs old and a smoker of less than a pack a day. Also, my throat and uvula have been red and swollen for about a year now.

Comment from: Dan, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

In Feb 2009 I contracted my first ever sinus infection. After 2 months of antibiotics it still didn't clear up so I was referred to an ENT and in March 2010 had surgery. Still today, March 2011, I am very sick and in a great deal of pain. Countless amounts of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medications and pain killers have not seemed to help. Now my ENT wants to do a second surgery. I am doubtful this will help. Also my ENT told me not to use netti pot when infection is present. I just don't know what to do. Although I am constantly blocked up I have only been able to blow my nose a handful of times in 2 years, I can barely smell or taste anything and my voice has changed. My quality of life is not good. I don't socialize, can't work much and feel sorry for my husband as he has to put up with me being snotty and grumpy all the time! I really need help.

Comment from: In Pain, 35-44 Female Published: February 28

I am so happy that I found this site as it has helped me better understand my condition. This is the 2nd sinus cold I have had in the past few months & this one has been the worst pain that I have ever experienced. I have been sick for 5 days and took Tylenol Sinus for 2 days but it no longer helps. My nose could not stop running for 3 days, now I feel a deadly pressure in my head, cheeks & throat. I thought it was from a toothache. Thanks for the info. I will go see the doctor first thing in the morning.

Comment from: Realistic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

My sinusitis affects the sphenoid area, with pain on the sides of my head above my ears. It is worse when I lie on my side, better on my tummy, as my sinuses drain better that way. Taking a sinus medication(OTC)and using saltwater nasal sprays, hot compresses, and steam can sometimes clear it up if I catch it early on, however, many times I need antibiotics. Recently I had vertigo for days even with the antibiotics, but that clears with a mild decongestant enough to work.

Comment from: Fififish, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have a neti pot and love it. But I also have a small fountain that I run every night in my bedroom. It helps a lot and is a cuter alternative to constant use of a humidifier. But I really wish I would have thought about Vicks Vapo-Rub over a steamy sink! My symptoms: extreme fatigue and nausea, sinus congestion and VERY LITTLE pain. Plus it activated my asthma so: shortness of breath and tingly fingers.

Comment from: 25-34 Male Published: February 16

For my sinus infection, I had loss of hearing, swelling under the eyes and nasal congestion.

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

is sinusitis caused by a virus?

Comment from: maree, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I have has a sinus infection for two months now. I have pain and pressure behind my nose and eye. My nose is blocked on the left side and my throat is very sore. When I lie down at night, I have a drip going down the back of my throat, which tastes very sweet. I have also had so many antibiotics and they don't seem to cure this infection. I am now going to see an ENT specialist.

Comment from: kat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have a sinus infection and I have a sore throat, headaches all around, neck and shoulder pain, nasal congestion, chest congestion, fever, sore eyes, irritated nasal passages, and a desire to sleep.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

Every time I get a sinus infection I always smell a bad odor coming from my nose. I get sinus infections all the time. My allergies are the problem, the yeast one. It's been real hard working when I am so sick all the time.

Comment from: La La, 25-34 Female Published: June 20

I've had a stuffy nose since April. Did not know what it was. Went to the doctor, used antihistamine, nasal spray, sinus and cold pills. nothing worked to this day, but I'm going to try the steam and see if it helps. Sometimes I wonder if it is sinus at all! I experience no pain, just stuffiness all day and night! No mucous discharge.

Comment from: angeleyes5560, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I'm having bad stuffiness can't breathe good through nose and can't lay down when I use my oxygen it makes it harder to breath if I breath through my mouth it gets all dry etc. I feel miserable I'm using flonase and saline spray trying to flush it out my ears hurt I have no energy at all feel awful.

Comment from: pat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

My sinus infection gave me a headache and face aches. It's difficult hearing from my right ear.

Comment from: drtygrl614, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

My sinus infection started out as an allergy and then I developed a sore throat. Four days later my throat was very sore and red. No headache really but felt cold, nauseous, with a rotten taste in my mouth, and had postnasal drip. I saw my doctor yesterday and she said it was a sinus infection so now I am on antibiotics.

Published: March 22

I have had a sinus infection for the past six months. I have been to see my doctor two times. I have a chemical smell in my nasal passage that smells like burnt plastic. I can find some relief with Flonase spray, but it just doesn't go away.

Comment from: Stinky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

With my sinus infection I have a complete loss of smell (therefore effecting your taste almost completely). It is very scary. It eventually comes back slowly with a foul taste from the infection draining out (it has no where else to go).

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I just returned from my dentist after being up all night with excruciating pain in all the teeth on my upper left side. She took xrays and decided that it has to be a sinus infection because I see a dentist regularly and no dental problems shown on xray. After 2 doses of antibiotics my pain was completely gone. I hadn't been sick but now my nose is running and my throat hurts.

• Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?

Post View 31 Comments
  • Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) - Surgery

Please share your experience with sinus surgery.

Post View 1 Comment
  • Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) - Experience

Please share your experience with sinus infections or sinusitis.

Post

American Academy of Allergy and Immunology. "Tips to Remember: Allergy Shots."
<http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/allergy-shots.aspx>

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Sinus Rinsing & Neti Pots."
<http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/sinus-rinsing.html>

US Federal Drug Administration. "Is Rinsing Your Sinuses Safe?"
<http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm316375.htm>

Hickner JM, Bartlett JG, Besser RE, Gonzales R, Hoffman JR, Sande MA; American Academy of Family Physicians; American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Mediciine; Centers for Disease Control; Infectious Diseases Society of America. "Principles of appropriate antibiotic use for acute rhinosinusitis in adults: background." Ann Intern Med. 2001 Mar 20;134(6):498-505.

Rabago D., Zgierska A. "Saline Nasal Irrigation for Upper Respiratory Conditions." Am Fam Physician. 2009 November 15; 80(10): 1117–1119.