Sinus Infection

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: allystar, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have found the only treatment that has worked for me over the past twenty or so years of a chronic sinus infection is sinus soother nasal spray. I have been suffering in silence. Everything (even antibiotics) stopped working years ago. This cured me and it was worth spending the money on it.

Comment from: healthyagain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

Amoxicillin with Clavulin cleared up a sinus infection I had for seven years. Eight doctors later, I finally found a doctor who gave me what I needed to be healthy again. I also use a nasal rinse, which I balked at first, but now find daily relief from it.

Comment from: Auma O., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I was once diagnosed with sinus infection and I was about to be operated but a man came to my rescue. He gave me a drug called sinus rinse, I used it for ten days and I got well. After one year the infection reappeared and I didn't have the drug at that moment and my friend had gone back to his country, so I gave him a call and he told me to use hot water and salt and I did it and it works. I am encouraging those who have this infection to try it because sometimes you may not have enough money to buy the drugs. Like in Kenya I have been looking for the sinus rinse but there is no drug. I have been living with it for the last 8 years and I can manage it myself thanks to my friend.

Comment from: Panny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Getting to the age where sinus infections were seemingly chronic, every time I got run down I got one. But I don't like to take antibiotics. I've tried Sinus Relief by Nature's Rite and found that it can be nipped in the bud by doing saline sinus rinse twice a day and the sinus rinse as directed (every 30 minutes) being careful to get it way in the sinuses. It stings really bad initially when it's reacting with the sinus bacteria, but then it doesn't hurt as much. After about 8 hours of this therapy symptoms abated and went away. One time it did not work when I had waited until a deep infection had set in.

Comment from: former sufferer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I used to have sinus infections several times a year. No more. What helped me was simple, and fairly inexpensive. The first thing was a longer than normal course of antibiotics (ampicillin in my case). I took these for 20 days instead of the normal ten. Why? Because evidently in ten days the infection would still be lurking, although symptoms were no longer present. Then a month later it would have gotten to the point of looking like another infection. I believe I was just having one long infection that was never completely cured. My doctor agreed with me and allowed me the longer Rx. The second thing was to do saline rinses of my sinuses. Yeah, they are kind of gross, but wow, worth it. I did the one with the water pik and the special tip (grossan sinus irrigator tip). I made a solution of a pinch of salt and a pinch of baking soda, in warm water. If you want the exact formula, you will have to google it. You can also get more complete instructions if you need them. While still infected, I did this rinse morning and evening. Once the infection subsided, I did this daily for a while. Eventually, I was able to leave it off. Now, I begin to use it immediately and daily upon the smallest signs of a cold, to keep it from developing into a sinus infection. There is a less expensive version of this treatment that I use when my water pik isn't available, like when I'm traveling. You can use one of those little suction bulbs that are used to clean babies noses. Just fill the bulb with the saline solution and squirt it in each nostril. Works pretty much the same as the water pik, except you don't have the pulsing action. A sinus infection is extremely rare for me now that I do this. I think I've had one or two in the last ten years, while I used to have them 4-6 times a year.

Comment from: Ms.Harris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have chronic sinus infection and allergy. I had the sinus surgery and I wish I never did because it brought on other issues that affect me. I can't smell or taste anything most of the time. I still get infections, and my goodness, headaches. I eat my part of good green vegetables but I do have high blood pressure. I have tried the Neti pot and the nasal sprays which my doctor told me not to use because it dries me out. I have an issue with very bad breath too although I take care of my oral hygiene but I have noticed that when I talk the person would be flickering their nose with their finger and they sometimes just kind of pinch their nose. This is by far the most embarrassing thing ever. When I'm in a room full of people it appear the room gets filled with horrible mouth funk. It smells like I have a very bad cold. I do what I am supposed to do and with this issue I don't know how to fix. The dentist can't help so I am wondering what I can do at home.

Comment from: Newsonct2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I have had sinus infections for most of my working life. I had an immunology test taken and I have what is called IgA deficiency, which has to do with the mucous membranes in your body. When the specialist told me about it I asked him what we can do about it and he said nothing. I have to take a test every few years and if I ever need to go into a hospital I have to let them know about this because I would need much stronger antibiotics to take care of any problem I may get with my intestines or sinus cavity. So if you keep having these sinus infections ask to have the test taken so you will know the reason why you are so susceptible to chronic sinus infection.

Comment from: mavander, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

Omnaris nasal spray and cefuroxime have been effective for my sinus infection.

Comment from: stevef, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I found some stuff that kills fungus and bacteria that you really ought to try. You just spray it in your nose and WOW, it got rid of my nasty sinus infection in about a week. I had tried antibiotics that were specifically prescribed for my sinusitis and I also tried a neti pot (yuk) but just couldn¡¦t get this sinus infection to quit. So I did a search and found this stuff (Sinus Relief) from Nature¡¦s Rite. The only problem is that you have to spray it every 30 minutes. I thought, hey, what the heck, it¡¦s worth a try and every 30 minutes isn¡¦t too bad. I was really surprised how well it worked so I bought their sinus support too. It¡¦s been a good moisturizer with calendula and aloe. It¡¦s herbal ya know. I like herbal stuff. So anyway, you should try this for your sinusitis. It won¡¦t make you have a yeast infection afterward like some antibiotics do.

Comment from: dmg, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I found the article about sinusitis very much in depth and reassuring. However, even though it mentioned saline nasal sprays, it did not talk about them in any depth, nor did it mention "nasal washes" which my doctor suggested. I've been using NeilMed sinus rinse which is available in drug stores over the counter, and consists of a plastic bottle into which you put 8 ounces of warm water and add a packet of a finely ground mixture of salt and soda. Compressing the bottle while holding it to one nostril gently forces this mixture into the nasal cavity and out the other nostril. This is obviously a much larger quantity of saline solution than the sprays. So far, over the past week it has helped reduce the amount of mucus and provide some comfort, but not completely cure my long term chronic sinus infection. I am now taking azithromycim (Z-Pak, 250 mg, 6 pills over 5 days.) We'll see if that does the trick for this 6 month low grade infection.

Comment from: get knowledge b4 dr., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am from Kolkata, India. My sinus poblem is acute as I read the whole detail in this web page. The very next day, I followed the suggestions and I became better very soon. My local doctors gave me a diagnosis that turned out to be a huge waste of money. Thanks for the useful information. I request your viewers to please go through the web for suggestions. You might not even need a doctor.

Comment from: Zambales, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

My case is almost similar to the one published last July except that mine is on the left side maxillary sinusitis. I woke up with pain on the whole left side of my face and observed it for a day and tried to figure out if it was dental or sinus problem. I went to see a doctor the following day and had 4 x-rays taken and found out that my left nasal cavity was filled with mucous that couldn't escape or drain. He prescribed Klaricid 500 mg once a day and clindamycin 300 mg. 3 times a day and it's been 3 days now and the swelling has subsided. I live in the Philippines and this is the first time it happened to me. Usually, just minor allergies and sinus problems, but never this painful swelling.

Comment from: Diana M., 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 11

My 10-year-old child had a recurring sinus infection. She was on nasal spray therapy (Nasonex) for her rhinitis. Because of her monthly basis of sinus infections, her pediatrician recommended that she use a saline solution spray every day, even if she has no symptoms at all. I found this to be effective, for it has been four months now and her sinus infection has not recurred.

Comment from: Mohd, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

It has been three days my right side jaw, eye and head ache because of sinus infection. I had pain killer and paracetamol tablets but it is still the same pain.

Comment from: Jerry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

After six months of severe breathing problems, I think it may have been as simple as sinus congestion. After only two days of saline wash and Afrin, I feel like I can breathe again. Could it be this simple?

Comment from: Mel13, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I've had sinus infections almost every year since I was a teenager. The one thing that has helped me most is to recognize the signs that a sinus infection is turning bacterial. It helps that my current primary care doctor has recognized the link between my sinus problems and hay fever and takes the attitude that I should not be suffering from either. Find a good primary care doctor, and work with him or her.

Comment from: Quacker , 55-64 (Patient) Published: February 15

Clarithromycin works for me.

Comment from: Mamabear09, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

Started working in the main post office two months ago, and within two weeks got eye infections. I went to eye dr. He said it was caused by allergy possibly to the environment. The infections cleared up and I went back to work got infections again. The doctor gave me eye drops to put in eyes daily. Last week started sneezing, coughing, with a sore throat and teeth pain. I went to the doctor and I now have a sinus infection and an ear infection. I think it's working in a very dusty environment. I have no known allergies but obviously there is something there that is causing these infections. I'm on antibiotics now but afraid when I go back to work this will be an ongoing battle.

Comment from: john, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I suffer from headaches behind the eye and one side of my head. Sudafed helps

Comment from: Mimi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am being treated for a sinus infection, 2000mg of amoxicillin for 10 days and fluticasone propionate nasal spray. I hope it clears it up. I have never used a netipot or anything similar. I have considered it but have not yet mentally got past the gross factor. My nostrils have been so sore and raw feeling. I have been using the saline spray but that wasn't enough so lately I have been applying olive oil on a Q-tip to the inside of each nostril.

Comment from: BB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I have suffered from sinusitis for years. I currently have one now. I have been on amoxicillin and Z-Pac and Allegra D for two weeks. Nothing has worked and I am miserable with headaches, sore throat, cold sensitive teeth.

Comment from: kumar, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I am a patient with sinusitis. I consulted many doctors and tried many nasal sprays and medicines, and all preventive measures, but nothing helped me. There are two things which helped me. First nasal irrigation with lukewarm saline water, and second: drops of vegetable oil (fat) in the nose. I am quite relieved now, but nasal irrigation has to be done daily. It cleans out the hard mucus and opens nasal passages where as vegetable fat helps to retain moisture in my nasal passages.

Comment from: Desperate, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I have all of the symptoms of sinusitis, but also have a feeling of fullness in my ear. I have had three rounds of antibiotics. Nothing has seemed to alleviate the headaches, tooth pain, or ear ache.

Comment from: curt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

Antibiotics are the only cure for my sinus infections.

Comment from: Val, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have had sinus trouble for years and usually it ends up as a severe ear infection that requires heavy-duty (and expensive) antibiotics to clear up. This past year, I have used a neti pot religiously and have not had one sinus or ear infection. I got the neti pot or about $13 and I use it 2 or 3 times a week. I compare that to a $500 for 10 pills. Forget that. I'll keep using my neti pot.

Comment from: Emma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I've been a sinus sufferer for 20 years now. I've tried all of the over-the counter medications as well as prescribed as well as herbal remedies to no avail. Then I saw the neti pot, so I gave it a shot and it works wonders!

Comment from: mhoeff1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

The things that have been the best for sinus infections have been antibiotics and the use of the neti pot. I get sinus infections every year.

Comment from: Ben Winrich, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I have had a sinus infection since Aug of 2009. .My ENT told me that all 8 cavities were infected with evidence of fungus also. I had polyps removed and a deviated septum. I am one week post-op and feel much better. The main reason for that is the use of a neti pot. I feel as though this little contraption saved my life to a degree. Regardless of symptoms or not I will continue the use of nasal irrigation for life since now I know the benefits this one little thing can bring. My concern is that during the irrigation I am still getting the yellowish substance and blood that the doctors said was the infection. I have been on medications for 7 days since the surgery. For all of you who suffer from this, please consider using the nasal irrigation. It is not the most pleasant thing to do but for a small amount of time can bring much needed relief.

Comment from: mynond, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

After a Z-pack, OTC decongestant, nedi pot, nasal spray and Advil, the thing that helped the most was putting a towel over my head and breathing steam with Vaporub in it. It finally got things to start loosening up and helped relieve the pressure. I steamed every hour for 4 hours and then every 2 hours after that.

Comment from: hsladyrose, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

As someone who gets sinusitis a couple of times a year, I have found that the most effective treatment has been using the neti pot, for a nasal saline irrigation, along with the use of Mucinex-D and the antibiotic ZPak (3 or 5 day).

Comment from: Pete, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

An over the counter Sinus Rinse product such as Neil Med Sinus rinse (sold at CVS) was helpful to me. For months, I had a terrible blocked/stuffy feeling going into the ears and my eardrums were always trying to equalize the pressure. Immediately after using the rinse, it felt much better. After a few days, the symptoms were almost totally gone.

• Sinus Infection - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your sinus infection?

Post View 54 Comments
  • Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) - Surgery

Please share your experience with sinus surgery.

Post View 1 Comment
  • Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) - Experience

Please share your experience with sinus infections or sinusitis.

Post

American Academy of Allergy and Immunology. "Tips to Remember: Allergy Shots."
<http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/allergy-shots.aspx>

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Sinus Rinsing & Neti Pots."
<http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/sinus-rinsing.html>

US Federal Drug Administration. "Is Rinsing Your Sinuses Safe?"
<http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm316375.htm>

Hickner JM, Bartlett JG, Besser RE, Gonzales R, Hoffman JR, Sande MA; American Academy of Family Physicians; American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Mediciine; Centers for Disease Control; Infectious Diseases Society of America. "Principles of appropriate antibiotic use for acute rhinosinusitis in adults: background." Ann Intern Med. 2001 Mar 20;134(6):498-505.

Rabago D., Zgierska A. "Saline Nasal Irrigation for Upper Respiratory Conditions." Am Fam Physician. 2009 November 15; 80(10): 1117–1119.