Skier's Thumb

What was the cause of your skier's thumb? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: maimai, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I fell literally 8 inches while transitioning from boat pose to chair pose in yoga, which gave me a skier's thumb.

Comment from: Dee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I tripped over a doorstop at church and broke my thumb in 2 places and tore the ligaments loose. I had surgery for skier's thumb almost 4 weeks ago and I am still in a brace/cast for another 2 weeks. I still have pain and am ready to get out of this thing! I was told this one would come off in 2 more weeks and I'd be put in another one. Wait and see; not fun!

Comment from: female guard, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I was subduing a subject in close quarters while grabbing the subject's shoulders and neck area to press him to the floor, and during the process I overextended my thumb and got skier's thumb. There was not much pain afterwards unless I moved it downward a certain way. I went straight to the emergency room after the incident since it didn't feel right. X-Rays were taken and no broken bones. A fiberglass splint to be worn was made, with orders to follow up with a surgeon. A week passed until I was able to be seen, during that time I had some swelling and bruising. I used ice to keep the swelling down, but no severe pains just sometimes a dull ache. Never even filled the prescription for pain medications. Follow up yielded that it is a torn UCL and surgery is to follow as soon as the insurance approves.

Comment from: RIK, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I got skier's thumb through the use of a cordless drill wherein the screw I was tightening came to the end of its tightening and instead of torqueing the screw it applied the torque to my thumb (otherwise applied the torque force to my thumb instead of the screw) and thereby pulled/tore a ligament (or the like) and it has been pretty much a source of pain ever since.

Comment from: Ck, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I dropped a barbell after lifting it overhead. It bounced off the ground, colliding with my right thumb. I saw the doctor a few weeks later because it was still painful. I'm going to need minor surgery.

Comment from: Pinball, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 04

I was hiking in mountainous terrain. My feet slid out from under me and I landed on my hand. My thumb was swollen and quite bruised. Five weeks later, the swelling and bruising have gone, but I still cannot grip properly and it is quite painful.

Comment from: Motorbike thumb....., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I had a crash on my motorbike. Straight after, I couldn't get my lid off as my thumb had no strength. It was X-rayed immediately, and nothing was broken so I was discharged. Almost two years later, I find out I have skier's thumb and am scheduled for surgery in two months. This involves removing tendon from my wrist for use on my thumb joint. If it doesn't work, I have to have my thumb fused.

Comment from: DD, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I damaged my thumb 1 1/2years ago, I recently found out it was skier's thumb. Is it too late for surgery? I was hoping it would heal on it's own.

Comment from: skier, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I did it while skiing! I'm glad I went to the doctor sooner rather than later because someone I know had done the same thing and didn't go to the doctor until weeks or months later, which was too late for a full recovery with only a splint. I was almost too embarrassed to go because it didn't seem like a very big injury, but you don't realize how important your thumb is, and how strong it is, until you lose the use of it.

Comment from: momsaylor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I injured my thumb while playing catcher during a softball game. The injury occurred during a collision at home plate with a runner while my arm was outstretched to catch the ball.

Comment from: Linda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I tripped over the dog and fell with my hand/thumb underneath me. My ribs crushed my thumb. I am having surgery for skier's thumb in a few days to correct the problem. Lots of swelling and still painful one week after falling on it.

Comment from: dog lover, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I was playing with my son's dog trying to grab his toy from his mouth. Missed the toy and the 96 lb. lab's head hit my thumb backwards. Thought it was just a sprain so didn't see doc until two weeks later when it still wasn't feeling much better. This was a big mistake because I should have gone sooner. Six weeks later and it still is giving me trouble.

Comment from: Mountainbiker-thumb, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

Accident: I went over the handlebars of my bike, and either the handlebars caught my thumb; overstretched and popped the ligament or I landed on my finger and broke it backwards. Not sure what is the exact cause of the detached ligament. Symptoms: Within 2 hours: Swelling on the thumb, painful to move it, a little bit blue on top of the finger on the (hinge joint?). Ice and elevation was helping to release the pain. Within the same day: additional swelling of the hand near the thumb. Three weeks later: I had surgery was put in a cast for a week afterwards. Now I'm in a hard splint for the next 6 weeks: There is still swelling, but on the thumb only, there is only little movement in the hinge joint (I'm not allowed to move the whole thumb yet) probably caused by keeping it still for a long time. Advice: I've been told by the hand therapist to try and exercise/move the hinge joint every 1-2 hours, this cannot damage the surgery because it's two different ligaments in the two joints.

Comment from: clumsy camper, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I fell on my outstretched hand.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I got skier's thumb after I was working in the home on a ladder and it folded in on me.

Medically reviewed by Aimee V. HachigianGould, MD; American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery

REFERENCE: