Viewer Comments: Skin Cancer - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Skin Cancer:

Skin Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with skin cancer.

Comment from: stager, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I noticed a little skin colored nodule on my calf and didn't think anything of it. Within 3 months, it grew to a quarter of an inch and looked like a weird wart. I went to my dermatologist to have it removed. She immediately recognized it as a squamous cell carcinoma (SCC). It was removed by excision. Lab confirmed it was free of any cancer cells. It was invasive, but had not grown deep. When I went for my 6 month check, there was a basal cell carcinoma on the shin of my other calf. She froze it, and it healed with no problem. Next 6 month check should be in March, but went in December 21st with a spot on my left forearm that didn't look right to me. Biopsy confirmed it is squamous cell carcinoma. Two days after biopsy on arm was done, I noticed another place that came up on the same arm just a few inches from the SCC. I feel certain it is SCC. I will have confirmed SCC removed in January. I will do biopsy of newest spot on the same forearm at the same time. I just hope that finding these cancers early and having them removed will be all that is necessary.

Comment from: Riley, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I'm not actually a skin cancer patient, but I'm writing this about my girlfriend, because her case is so strange that I thought it would be interesting to tell people about it. She has basal cell carcinoma on her eyebrow and eyelid that started years ago from an eyebrow wound that must have healed wrong. For years we thought that the shiny hairless lump was just scar tissue, but it caused her pain and bled a lot. Recently she went in for surgery, where a hard cyst-like substance was removed from her eyebrow. Then the skin tests came back positive for cancer. So she got another surgery and they got out as much as they could, but there is still a lot left that they were unable to remove. She has been to several specialists and meetings but no one is sure yet how to proceed because radiation therapy could cause problems with her eye. If one of us had seen pictures of basal cell carcinoma years ago, we would have recognized it and some of this might have been prevented.

Comment from: Mimi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was diagnosed with squamous cell skin cancer yesterday. Five weeks ago, I spent a week in Florida. Only two of those days were warm enough to wear short sleeves. While I was there, I noticed a spot on my arm that got red and irritated looking. After I got home, I called the dermatologist and saw him three weeks later. By then the area got bigger and part of the top formed a scab, which fell off and created a hole that bled. The dermatologist called me yesterday and said it was a small squamous cell skin cancer, and since it was removed, this is probably the only treatment. I have another appointment in two and a half months for a follow-up. I had a melanoma on my thigh six years ago. I had a wide excision and follow-up with blood work and chest X-rays for five years. I am very fair (100% Irish) and got a lot of sunburns when I was a kid. I would just like to encourage people to not ignore anything on their skin because the sooner it is removed, the better the outcome. And I am still shocked at how quickly this came on and that it is cancer. It is scary to hear the word cancer in your diagnosis, and it does help to talk to other people who have gone through the same thing. I'm happy to report that I'm doing well and am encouraged that this new skin cancer was caught early.

Comment from: Mimi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

Comment from: Tina, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

In January of 2016 I start to notice a sore in my shoulder and I thought it was just a minor sore. Weeks passed and the sore did not heal, so I went to my doctor to see what the problem was. He took a biopsy and found that I had stage 2 non-melanoma skin cancer, a very deadly cancer he said. On September, 2016 I had surgery and still haven't been totally cured. I have difficulty in everything I do. I had the chemotherapy and the radiation to stop the non-melanoma skin cancer from spreading. Throughout my recovery I had a great support group. I had my days of depression and wanting to give up but got through it.

Must Read Articles Related to Skin Cancer

Common Health Tests
Common Health Tests Common health tests may be performed in your doctor's office or even in the pharmacy. Regular health checks and screening for certain diseases and conditions ha...learn more >>
Mole Removal
Mole Removal Moles may be removed using exc...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Skin Cancer:

Skin cancer - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your skin cancer?

Skin Cancer - Treatment

What was the treatment for your skin cancer?