Most adults have experienced insomnia or sleeplessness at one time or another in their lives. An estimated 30%-50% of the general population are affected by insomnia, and 10% have chronic insomnia. Insomnia is a symptom, not a stand-alone diagnosis or a disease. By definition, insomnia is "difficulty initiating or maintaining sleep, or both" and it may be due to inadequate quality or quantity of sleep.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Sleep Disorders related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Sleep Disorders Related Resources
Sleep Disorders Articles
- What Are the 3 Types of Insomnia?
- How Can I Go to Sleep Instantly?
- What Triggers Sleep Paralysis?
- What Is the Main Cause of Insomnia?
- Why Do Cancer Patients Have Trouble Sleeping?
- What Are The 7 Types of Sleep Disorders?
- Is It Safe to Take Melatonin?
- 20 Simple Ways to Fall Asleep as Fast as Possible
- Lucid Dreams: What They Are and How to Experience Them
- Night Terrors
- What Are the Signs of Narcolepsy?
- What Is a CPAP Machine Used For?
- Sleep Disorders in Women
- Sleeplessness and Circadian Rhythm Disorder
Sleep Disorders Medications
- armodafinil (Nuvigil) (Nuvigil)
- ramelteon (Rozerem) (Rozerem)
- eszopiclone (Lunesta) (Lunesta)
- sodium oxybate (Xyrem) (Xyrem)
- zaleplon (Sonata) (Sonata)
- valerian (Valerian, Valerian Root)
- modafinil (Provigil) (Provigil)
- melatonin (Advanced Sleep Melatonin, Dual Spectrum Melatonin, Melatonin)
- doxylamine (Nytol Maximum Strength, Unisom) (Aldex AN, Nytol Maximum Strength, Unisom)
- quazepam (Doral) (Doral)
- estazolam (Prosom) (Prosom)
- zolpidem (Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar) (Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar)
- triazolam (Halcion) (Halcion)
- temazepam (Restoril) (Restoril)
- secobarbital (Seconal Sodium) (Seconal Sodium)
Sleep Disorders Images and Slideshows
- Sleep Better, Conquer Insomnia
- Sleep Disorders: How to Get Back to Sleep
- The 14 Most Common Causes of Fatigue
- Sleep Disorders: Why You Snore and How to Stop
- Health and Beauty: The Benefits of Beauty Sleep
- Sleep Disorders: Dos and Don'ts After a Bad Night's Sleep
- Sleep: What Are the Best Sleeping Positions?
- Sleep Health: 20 Facts About Your Biological Body Clock
- Sleepless? Know the Signs of Sleep Deprivation
- Bed Basics: How to Get Your Best Sleep Ever
- Sleep Cycle: What Happens When You Sleep
- Health & Balance: Don't Make These Morning Health Mistakes
- Sleep Disorders: Foods That Help Sleep or Keep You Awake
- 20 Tips to Beat Insomnia and Sleep Better
- Jobs That May Ruin Your Sleep
Sleep Disorders Quizzes
Sleep Disorders News
- Quality Sleep Extremely Elusive for Most During Pandemic, Survey Shows
- Poor Sleep Increases Dementia and All-Cause Mortality
- Sunset Daylight Saving Time, Sleep Experts Say
- Tips on Getting Quality Sleep During COVID
- Cannabis for Sleep: Short-Term Benefit, Long-Term Disruption?
- Better Sleep Linked to Reduced CVD, Stroke Risk
- Frequent Sleeping Pill Use Linked to Increased Dementia Risk
- What Are the Warning Signs of Sleep Apnea?
- FDA Adds Boxed Warning to Insomnia Drugs
- Can a Person Die from Sleep Apnea?
- How Serious Is Sleep Apnea?
- Who Is Most at Risk for Sleep Apnea?
- Insomnia Common But Often Short-Lived
- Study: Weekend Sleep-Ins May Help You Live Longer
- Nobel Prize Winners Unlocked Your Sleep Secrets