Most adults have experienced insomnia or sleeplessness at one time or another in their lives. An estimated 30%-50% of the general population are affected by insomnia, and 10% have chronic insomnia. Insomnia is a symptom, not a stand-alone diagnosis or a disease. By definition, insomnia is "difficulty initiating or maintaining sleep, or both" and it may be due to inadequate quality or quantity of sleep.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Sleep Disorders related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Sleep Disorders Related Resources
Sleep Disorders Articles
- Sleep Apnea (Obstructive and Central)
- Is It OK to Take Sleeping Pills Every Night?
- Night Terrors
- Does Melatonin Make You Sleep Immediately?
- What Are the 4 Most Common Sleep Disorders?
- What Are Common Types of Sleep Disorders in Children?
- What Causes Sleep Disturbances in Kids?
- How Many Hours of Sleep Is Insomnia?
- How Can I Solve My Trouble Sleeping?
- Sleeplessness and Circadian Rhythm Disorders
- Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD)
- Sleep Disorders in Women
- Primary Insomnia
- Disruptive Sleep Disorders (Parasomnias)
- REM Sleep Behavior Disorder
Sleep Disorders Medications
- armodafinil (Nuvigil) (Nuvigil)
- ramelteon (Rozerem) (Rozerem)
- eszopiclone (Lunesta) (Lunesta)
- sodium oxybate (Xyrem) (Xyrem)
- zaleplon (Sonata) (Sonata)
- valerian (Valerian, Valerian Root)
- modafinil (Provigil) (Provigil)
- melatonin (Advanced Sleep Melatonin, Dual Spectrum Melatonin, Melatonin)
- doxylamine (Nytol Maximum Strength, Unisom) (Aldex AN, Nytol Maximum Strength, Unisom)
- quazepam (Doral) (Doral)
- estazolam (Prosom) (Prosom)
- zolpidem (Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar) (Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar)
- triazolam (Halcion) (Halcion)
- temazepam (Restoril) (Restoril)
- pentobarbital (injection) (Nembutal Sodium) (Nembutal Sodium)
Sleep Disorders Images and Slideshows
- Busy Brain? Tips to Quiet an Active Mind for Sleep
- Sleep Disorders: Natural Ways to Stay Awake With Narcolepsy
- Sleep Disorders: Myths and Facts About Snoring
- Sleep Disorders: Causes of Nightmares
- Sleep Disorders: Ways to Sleep Cooler
- Sleeping Disorders: How Sleep Changes Throughout Your Life
- Sleep Better, Conquer Insomnia
- Sleep Disorders: How to Get Back to Sleep
- The 14 Most Common Causes of Fatigue
- Sleep Disorders: Why You Snore and How to Stop
- Health and Beauty: The Benefits of Beauty Sleep
- Sleep Disorders: Dos and Don'ts After a Bad Night's Sleep
- Sleep: What Are the Best Sleeping Positions?
- Sleep Health: 20 Facts About Your Biological Body Clock
- Sleepless? Know the Signs of Sleep Deprivation
Sleep Disorders Quizzes
Sleep Disorders News
- Which Insomnia Drugs Are More Effective and Have Fewer Side Effects?
- Deprived of Sleep, Many Turn to Melatonin Despite Risks
- Sleep Experts Recommend Permanent Standard Time Over Permanent DST
- Lights On During Sleep Can Play Havoc With Metabolism
- Quality Sleep Extremely Elusive for Most During Pandemic, Survey Shows
- Poor Sleep Increases Dementia and All-Cause Mortality
- Sunset Daylight Saving Time, Sleep Experts Say
- Tips on Getting Quality Sleep During COVID
- Cannabis for Sleep: Short-Term Benefit, Long-Term Disruption?
- Better Sleep Linked to Reduced CVD, Stroke Risk
- Frequent Sleeping Pill Use Linked to Increased Dementia Risk
- What Are the Warning Signs of Sleep Apnea?
- FDA Adds Boxed Warning to Insomnia Drugs
- Can a Person Die from Sleep Apnea?
- How Serious Is Sleep Apnea?