Small-Cell Lung Cancer

What was the treatment for your small-cell lung cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Red, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 23

She was diagnosed with small cell cancer at the age of 52. It was in the lung and lymph node in her neck. She was treated in a hospital with radiation and chemotherapy for 6 months. Her cancer went into remission and did not return until she was 80 (2016) years old.

Comment from: avalon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

My treatment for small-cell lung cancer consisted of radiation and chemotherapy; at the same time 2 different chemotherapies, 3 days on 19 days off, radiation 33 days straight (weekends off). My doctor was very intuitive, and would always schedule me for hydration for at least a week if not more after chemotherapy. I also had PCI (prophylactic cranial irradiation) brain radiation after treatment was over. I credit my pulmonary doctor, my oncologist, and my radiologist oncologist with my survival, also all the technicians that treated me. It is 3 years now since my diagnosis.

Comment from: Smilealways, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 06

She had 6 weeks of cough, hoarseness, and then breathlessness in the last 2 weeks of her life. She passed away after 1 week on life support machine, and then bronchoscopy result came through to say she had small-cell lung cancer. Unfortunately the hospital took a long time to diagnose. Initially they thought it was chest infection, but x-ray didn't pick any issues up. Then they thought it was pneumonia, then heart failure, then sepsis, then COPD, and finally when no treatment was working and mum's breathing did not improve, she had bronchoscopy.

Comment from: ADaughter, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 15

My father, 87, is in the final stage of small-cell lung cancer. He is in hospice. He can still get up and move around and is not on oxygen, but he is thin and weak and can't speak or write. He is not in pain. He smoked for 44 years, but quit at 60. His symptoms began earlier this year, and we thought it was bronchitis, which he has had many times in the past. Hoarseness was his first symptom. Antibiotics did not work. Then, he had fluid on the lung, and he went to a pulmonary specialist, who tested a sample of the fluid and found cancer cells. Then, he saw an oncologist who had tests done and found small-cell lung cancer extensive, with tumors on the liver. The brain was clear. We tried chemotherapy, but he did not react well to it and opted to not do more chemotherapy. His advanced age makes this disease difficult to fight.

"Pathobiology and staging of small cell carcinoma of the lung"
UpToDate.com

United States. National Cancer Institute. "Small Cell Lung Cancer Treatment." Jan. 20, 2017. <https://www.cancer.gov/types/lung/hp/small-cell-lung-treatment-pdq>.