Smoke Inhalation

What was the cause of your smoke inhalation? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mags, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I was cooking Sunday roast and had put the Yorkshire pudding in. Normally I wouldn't have the oven higher than 200 as it's a fan assisted oven. Five minutes later I could see the pudding rising beautifully. I must have caught the temperature knob and it had gone onto full heat. When I opened the oven door the smoke that billowed out was unreal. My eyes where painfully streaming. As I am a COPD patient I was surprised that I wasn't coughing my lungs up. Instead I instantly got an ear ache with a violent headache. Thinking I'd take 2 painkillers and have a lie down, I fell asleep from 4 pm till 5 am the next morning. All that next day I felt in shock. I couldn't even go to work.

Comment from: Cara, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I saw woodland on fire so one of my friends called for the fire brigade whilst I and another friend ran to the house in the woods to make sure the home owner was all right. We saw the home owner running away from the house, but it was the reaction from a dog that suggested his owner was still in the house. My friend insisted on going in because by the time the fire brigade had gotten through the woodland, it would have been too late. I ended up going inside. I crawled and used my cardigan to cover my face but I was still choking on the smoke. I couldn't really see anything because the smoke irritated my eyes. I managed to get myself and the young lad out. He wasn't breathing initially, but he recovered after medical intervention. I came out of the house with a hoarse voice, sore eyes, a cough and tight chest. The cough and tight chest were pretty persistent, but the other symptoms wore off at hospital. I was young and very stupid when I did this. Everything worked out fine, but it could have ended disastrously. Never go into a dangerous situation like I did, always wait for a professional.

Comment from: maydonna, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 11

I had burned some stew meat for about 2 hours. We were not in the house but when we came back it was filled with heavy smoke. We aired it out but the harsh smell permeated through everything. I washed walls and all the dishes again, etc. But this morning I can smell the smoke and I am not even in the house.

Comment from: d, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I fell asleep and burnt a pizza. I woke up to the whole house full of smoke and not sure how long I was sleeping with it like that.

Comment from: Meow, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I inhaled smoke from sage, now I have a sore throat and cold like symptoms.

Comment from: anna, Female Published: September 03

My partner and I decided to burn our paddock, we were struggling to get it out and absolutely exhausted while doing so. I was at the front of the fire and remember being choked by the smoke and heat of the flames, straight after I felt like my head was going to explode and it got worse. Apart from being physically exhausted, the headache went the next day but now a day later. Now, I have stabbing pain in my head and feel quite strange, he also has a sore throat.

Comment from: stvrap79, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 02

As a firefighter I've sustained, been treated for and witnessed others become afflicted with smoke inhalation. I try to use my SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus) aka my air pack whenever a threat of smoke or other potential threats to my breathing may arise. However situations do arise where I still may become suddenly and unexpectedly exposed. It goes without saying, if you or someone else inhales smokes or other toxins, seek medical attention. Even if you are unsure or not presenting any symptoms, play it safe. Call 911!

Comment from: Kate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

My smoke inhalation was from smoke seeping into my home from a neighbor's woodburning stove.

Comment from: Horsey, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

The smoke inhalation was from a wood fire. It billowed into the car window where I was napping. I had a hoarse voice and a cough upon awakening. I was checked at the hospital for a sinus infection which was present at the time of the inhalation. They diagnosed me with a sinus infection and a virus in the chest. They treated the sinus infection with antibiotics. The hoarseness is improving but still there.

Comment from: Miami Lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I burnt food while cooking, fumes and smoke was inhaled and got into my throat. The irritation started immediately and got progressively worse, with constant hoarseness and dryness of my throat.

Comment from: stu an shaz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

We live in a terraced house. Next door had a house fire. The smoke came through and we managed to wake up and get out after breathing in smoke long enough to soot our nostrils. We still feel doped up and woozy. Now after two weeks, we're still coughing, feeling tired all the time, and aching at our joints. We do not want to make a fuss as our neighbors died in the fire. We're feeling guilty almost, as we survived. We do not really wanting to talk to anyone about the incident. We do wonder if these symptoms are normal.

Comment from: Bodicea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

My smoke inhalation was caused by the wildfires in my area for about a week.

Comment from: sunnygal7331, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

My smoke inhalation occurred when bacon burned in a pan causing intense smoke. I inhaled some while opening the door and getting the dog outside.

Published: March 21

Our fireplace got backed up, which made the whole house smoky.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

We had a fire in our home while we were gone, but as we entered, there was a large degree of smoke in the house. We found later that our plastic trash can had burned a big hole in it. I rushed the children back outside quickly, opened doors, we are running fans in the house and windows are open. The fire had burned out, and firemen came checked to make sure no flame remains. A dust mop had gotten too close to our water heater that is run by gas. We let the house air out for two hours or so after the fire, then, took the kids to McDonald's later to escape smoke smells in the main area of the house, but we are sleeping in the house with tonight with windows open, fans on, but I am concerned about us staying in the house tomorrow. My eyes are burning some now having slept in the house for several hours. I do not seem mentally confused, just eyes burning some, no shortness of breath, no nausea vomiting from anyone. I just do not want to put the children at risk being in the house until we can clean up. We also have an air purifier which we have turned on as well.

Comment from: Debbie L, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

The source of my smoke inhalation was plastic beads in a neck warmer that caught on fire in a microwave causing smoke damage. I have had headaches and burning in the back of my throat since coming back into the home and I have had severe fatigue and numbness and tingling of the tongue in conjunction with a bitter taste on my tongue that increases by eating acidic foods. Numbness and tingling increase by sniffing fabrics/carpet.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: April 12

My sister's boyfriend put a frozen potpie in the microwave instead of the oven for 50 minutes and when I walked up in their apt. it was filled with smoke. I grabbed my baby niece and went outside. I believe it was the carton that burned beyond recognition. It burned my throat and chest, I couldn't even breathe. He was up in the apt. longer then me because he was opening all the windows which then smoke poured out of them..

Medically reviewed by Reviewed by Joseph T. Palermo, DO; Board Certification Internal Medicine/Geriatric Medicine

REFERENCE: