What Is The South Beach Diet?
What Kind of Food Do You Eat on The South Beach Diet?
The South Beach Diet involves three phases.
- Phase 1
- This phase lasts just 2 weeks and involves cutting almost all carbohydrates from the diet, including grains such as breads and pasta, rice, and fruit. Avoid alcohol.
- This phase is designed to eliminate cravings for sugar and carbohydrates.
- Foods to eat during phase 1 include:
- Lean protein such as skinless poultry, fish and shellfish, lean beef such as sirloin and tenderloin, eggs (in moderation), and soy products such as tofu
- High fiber vegetables
- Low fat dairy products
- Foods that contain healthy fats such as nuts, seeds, and avocado
- Phase 2
- Dieters can add some foods back into the diet.
- This phase is maintained until the goal weight is reached.
- Foods to eat during phase 2 include:
- Foods from phase 1
- Whole grains including whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, barley, quinoa
- Some fruits
- More vegetables such as corn, beets, carrots, and potatoes
- Phase 3
- This is a maintenance phase and all foods can be eaten in moderation.
Much of the South Beach Diet now involves pre-packaged foods and meal plans that are supplemented with some foods dieters prepare on their own.